National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL) calls applications from the interested and qualified Nepali Citizens for the position of Microbiologist (1) based at NPHL, Teku, Kathmandu. The key role of Microbiologist is to support in day-to-day function of National HIV reference laboratory in NPHL. S/He will be responsible for supporting in Viral Load Testing, Early Infant Diagnosis, External Quality Assurance, CD4 Count Testing and implementation of different kinds of training.
National Public health Laboratory (NPHL) is a government national reference laboratory under the Department of health services (DoHS) and Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP). It is directly linked to different levels of 277 government laboratories in the country. It was established in 1968 as Central Health Laboratory. The National Public Health Laboratory is given the mandate for organizational and administration responsibilities for the health laboratory services (public health and clinical diagnostic) in both public and private sectors throughout the country. Networking, licensing, monitoring, supervision, capacity strengthening and conducting research activities and National External Quality Assessment Scheme (NEQAS) of the laboratories are the major functions of NPHL. Currently, NPHL has facility of biosafety level (BSL) II lab with real time PCR (RT-PCR) which is in use for testing viral load & Avian Influenza including Swine flu (H1N1). National Public Health Laboratory has a national reference lab for HIV.
The Microbiologist will be based in the national reference lab at NPHL and will report to Chief Consultant Pathologist.
Scope of Work
- Ensure that the laboratory activities in the HIV reference unit are running smoothly.
- Support laboratory staffs throughout the HTC and community based testing (CBT) sites in conducting HIV tests. Provide onsite coaching and distant coaching whenever necessary.
- Ensure the quality of HIV and STI tests performed by the sites.
- Coordinate with CD4 count sites in districts to ensure smooth functioning of CD4 count machines.
- Conduct viral load tests, EID tests, HIV EQAS and CD4 count in coordination with other team members at NPHL.
- Support in the collection of samples for viral load, EID and CD4 count.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures/ Guidelines for the laboratory procedures whenever necessary.
- Develop mechanism to collect samples from the field for viral load testing and CD4 counts
- Plan joint monitoring visits of selected sites with other colleagues of NPHL and NCASC and share the trip report with the team
- Ensure that all the delivery sites are supplied enough test kits, medicines, guideline, recording and reporting template/registers
- Work closely with the National technical team, logistic team and NCASC to ensure efficient and collaboratory system for HIV commodity supplies.
The Microbiologist will report to the Chief Consultant Pathologist in the HIV reference laboratory at NPHL.
The Microbiologist should possess following qualifications
- Master’s degree in Microbiology
- A minimum of one year of professional experience
- Must be registered in Nepal Health Professional Council (NHPC)
How to Apply?
Follow this link to Apply ===> Click Here <=====