Vacancy Notice No: VN#NP/04/17
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Senior Finance Assistant
Position Required: 1 Position
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 7
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: December 19, 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer in Kathmandu and overall supervision of the Chief of Mission IOM Nepal, the incumbent will be responsible for providing finance support services to the mission’s activities in Kathmandu and its sub-offices in the areas of accounting, internal review of accounts, financial analysis and budget monitoring.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the RMO in monitoring and overseeing the day-to-day administrative, budgetary, financial functions in accordance with IOM’s rules, procedures and standards.
- In coordination with RMO, oversee budget control process and analyse variances between budget and actual expenditures and outstanding commitments.
- Assist the RMO in prompt and accurate financial tracking, record keeping, and reporting for all activities in Kathmandu and its offices in accordance with IOM standards. Provide guidance in the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud.
- Process monthly accounts closure and review monthly accounting statements and the required documentation for timely submission to Regional Accounting Support Unit in Manila.
- Review quality control accounting data entered in PRISM ensuring the correct GL and WBS is in compliance with IOM standards including programme specific rules (e.g. USRAP and GHAP WBS and GL code mapping)Ensure that payments and other financial transactions are done in a timely and efficient manner.
- Reconcile and review payable/receivable vendor’s account and ensure clearing procedure have been made on specific time according to contract or PO. Follow up with outstanding advances; coordinate with other mission for their clearance part for local vendors.
- Reconciliation of bank and cash account, dealing with bank, checking/monitoring bank balance for daily transaction on daily basis, monitoring mission balance, maintain income fund transfer from HQ/Manila/Donor.
- Prepare Monthly Budget Monitoring Report for projects and guiding/assisting finance colleagues. Assist the budgeting report for the project manager as requested and also donor financial report.
- In coordination with the RMO and Project Managers, prepare budgets for new projects.
- Coordinate with HR colleague for cost projectization of staff in absence of finance officer.
- Ensure timely preparation of monthly mission funding request with effective estimation of mission expenditure including coordination with sub office Damak and income transaction.
- Mail correspondence with HQ and Administrative Centers MAC other IOM mission worldwide and counter party for necessary transactions.
- Ensure correctness of disbursements and adherence to IOM accounting rules and procedures.
- Act as OIC in RMO absence and supervise finance team members to ensure complete, timely, and smooth operations of unit’s functions.
- Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with IOM and Donor policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor Degree in Commerce, Finance, Business Management or related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of work experience;Or
- Completed High School Degree with seven years’ work experience in related field.
- Knowledge of IOM accounting systems, software and procedural Knowledge/experience is mandatory.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and analyse and interpret source information and data.
- High level of computer literacy is required, particularly IOM computerized accounting systems.
- Good Knowledge of MS Office, especially Excel.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity and creative thinking.
- Ability to lead, coach and work effectively and harmoniously in a team with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Fluency in English, Nepali is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources Presents goals as shared interests
- Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Only Nepali Nationals will be considered for this position.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email firstname.lastname@example.org by 19 December 2017. Only short listed candidates will be called for interview.
Posting period: From 06.12.2017 to 19.12.2017