UN World Food Programme
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP Nepal has launched a Special Operation Emergency Preparedness Project (EPR) phase-2 that received funding in June 2017. The project exists of 4 pillars including (1) logistics infrastructure, (2) skills and training, (3) information and data preparedness and (4) institutional strengthening. From June 2017 onwards, qualified staff was enrolled to ensure management and implementation of the project activities. This TOR reflects the responsibilities of the Logistics Training Associate, responsible for managing, implementing and institutionalizing the Emergency preparedness skills and training programme. The Logistics Training Associate will work in close collaboration with EPR team members responsible for the other three pillars and Monitoring & Evaluation staff, under the direct supervision of the Emergency Preparedness Project Manager.
The incumbent is responsible to plan and implement approximately eleven emergency logistics and telecommunications trainings per year in locations aligned with the construction and set up of Forward Logistics Bases, in coordination with partner organisations and Ministry of Home Affairs. This function requires close coordination and involvement with various training institutions and organisations, GON ministries, Nepal Army, Armed Police Forces and other emergency responders and training institutes to establish partnerships and agreements to embed WFP’s emergency preparedness training in existing training curricula to ensure sustainability beyond the project implementation period.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the general supervision of the Head of Supply Chain & EPR and direct supervision of the Emergency Preparedness Project Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Conduct National and local level Training Needs Assessment that identifies government functions, humanitarian partners and number of personnel requiring EPR training.
- Plan, organize and implement national and local level EPR trainings: (1) Strategic Emergency Logistics, (2) Operational Emergency Logistics, (3) Practical Emergency logistics, (4) Food & warehouse management, (5) Desktop simulation, (6) Refresher training and (7) Forklift truck and generator training, in close coordination with the ICT unit who is organizing Emergency Telecommunications training. Year 1: 12 trainings, 260 people trained, Year 2: 11 trainings, 235 people trained, Year 3: 11 trainings, 285 people trained.
- Formulate and reach consensus with GoN and institutions on minimum criteria for selection of participants for EPR training and the requirements for refresher trainin
- Identify institutions most appropriate for delivering emergency logistics and telecommunications training and provide Training of Trainers (ToT) to trainers from those institution that incorporate EPR modules.
- Establish partnership agreements with training institutions to incorporate EPR training in their curricula, accreditation and their budgets.
- Plan, organize and implement two EPR desktop simulation exercises to test readiness of trained emergency responders, and evaluate FLB/MLH operating procedures.
- Support financial management of the project by preparing procurement planning and specifications, evaluating vendors, raising purchase orders and following up on payments and managing petty cash for the training pillar.
- Support project and administrative management of the project by continuing development of the training strategy, TOR’s, partnership, service agreements and/or MoU’s as required, training reports, technical analysis, training work planning, minutes of meetings and filing/archiving as per the project standard.
- Provide specialized support to logistics training operations and activites, following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective implementation of the Emergency Preparedness Project.
- Prepare, monitor and revise budget for all delivery modalities, ensuring adherence to relevant procedures and in compliance with corporate standards.
- Supervise the work of support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines for all assistance modalities.
- Support logistics emergency preparedness and response activities including Logistics Capacity Assessment and Contingency Plan update, to support WFP’s response in emergencies.
- Perform any other duties specified by the Emergency Preparedness Project Manager, as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Capability Name: Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Planning, Project & Resource Mgmt: Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
Information Management & Reporting: Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.
Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution: Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.
Technical Assistance and Coordination: Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Experience utilizing computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and standard WFP software packages. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education and a post-secondary certificate in the related functional area. An university degree is desirable in adult education, teaching, business administration, logistics, engineering, computer science, economics (transport economics), or equivalent through professional experience in a field related to adult learning methodology and training facilitation.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and in Nepali.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- At least five years of postgraduate professional experience in professional training, adult learning methodology and training facilitation.
- Professional experience in providing and organizing trainings.
- Experience in humanitarian logistics, emergency preparedness, contingency planning and Inter-agency coordination would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of WFP specific software (WINGS, COMET, Logistics Management System).
- Proficiency in Windows (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint).
- Experience in administering third party service providers’ contracts.
- Experience in compiling contract documentation.
- Experience in contract execution.
- Experience in budget monitoring and reporting.
- Good negotiation skills.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit an online application by 18 March 2018.
UN Salary Scale for S6: NRs. 1637393 (Annual)
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are requested to Create an account in system before applying. Candidate’s UN Personal Histoty Form (P11) and applications will be registered allowing profile updates, apply for a job through wfp career website.curriculum vitae,
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply