VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION / REQUIREMENTS:
Donor Compliance Specialist
Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Salary: As per organization rule
Contract type: Fixed Term
Full Time: 35 hours per week
Application Closing Date: 9 Jan 2020
Interview date: as soon as possible
Start date: as soon as possible
PRAYAS is a 30-month project funded through European Commission’s Civil Society Organisations (CSO) Country Based Support Scheme (CBSS) in Nepal. The project aims to strengthen the role of Youth-Led Civil Society Organizations to effectively engage youth and other marginalised groups in promoting youth-responsive and inclusive local Climate and Disaster Resilience (CDR) processes in Nepal.
The Donor Compliance Specialist will provide financial support and expert advices on donor compliance, manage and maintain grant management activities in order to ensure an efficient, secure and controlled financial environment in compliance with VSO policies and procedures, donor requirements and local regulations.
Skills, qualifications and experience
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Essential criteria (must have to be able to carry out the role successfully)
Knowledge/qualifications and Experience:
- Technical Accounting Expertise: Fully qualified Accountant (ACCA, ACA or Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Masters in Finance/Accounting or Bachelor’s degree in Accountancy with significant Grant Management experience.
- Grant management: Skilled financial accountant with knowledge of financial management of restricted donor funding, reporting, procurement procedures, grant management, grant equipment, donor rules and regulations for non-profit organisations.
- Budget management and Auditing: Strong leadership experience in budget management (including project budgets), financial planning and analysis. Knowledge of Internal, External and Project Audit. Coordinates financial auditing in closed consultation with donor agencies and consortium partners.
- Financial Business Partnering: Service oriented, customer focused approach. Experience of working in and understanding a global organisation, using knowledge to analyse and interpret financial information to support management.
- Financial and Risk Management: Strong financial and risk management skills (including ability to understand and work with restricted funds and full cost recovery concepts, and project funding issues); understanding of financial management policy and excellent budget monitoring and management skills.
- Financial and Information Technology Systems: Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel particularly. Use of accounting software and reporting packages with preference to SUN system.
- ravel requirement: Able to travel in a rural area in country and internationally occasionally and spend time away from work- base location and home.
Desirable Criteria: (skills that could be an advantage in the role)
- EU Grant management: It is preferred that candidates have either directly engaged in EU grant management or worked in organization that is sub-grant receipt of EU grant to acquaint about EU grant management operational modalities.
- Communication and Influencing Skill: Strong written and verbal communication skills – able to listen, analyse, present, consult, negotiate with confidence and obtain stakeholder engagement. Able to effectively communicate complex financial information to a wide range of audiences and experience of remote and cross-cultural communication, demonstrating sensitivity to cultural and language differences.
- Time management skill: prioritization skills, decision making skills, focus of the program, coping skills etc.
- People management: Experience of managing staff with the ability to develop, coach and motivate a high performing team and empower others to apply good grant management principles.
- Flexibility: Ability to manage grant in a changing context, recognising and being open to ambiguity, uncertainty and opportunities.
Information Technology – Good level of computer skills (Windows, Excel, Power Point, Word, Outlook, Internet).
Travel requirement: Able to travel in country and internationally occasionally and spend time away from work- base location and home.
Commitment to VSO’s mission, values, People First principles and core approaches (Social Inclusion and Gender, Social Accountability, and Resilience).
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO has zero tolerance of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people. We expect all our employees/volunteers to ensure we are protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults from harm and abide by our safeguarding policy.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.