The initiative to create a new institution of higher education in Nepal, proposed to be called the University of Nepal, is a collective effort led by a group of experienced educators and professionals in Nepal. This initiative is guided by the mission to create a high quality, public, secular, not-for-profit institution dedicated to producing graduates who will be well prepared to meet the current and future challenges leading a life of purpose, integrity and service to humanity. After four years of dedicated efforts of this collective, the University of Nepal Development Board (hereafter referred to as UoN-DB) was formed by the Government of Nepal in May 2021 with the mandate to undertake the foundational work for the formal establishment of University of Nepal.
2. Summary of the Position
The UoN-DB is seeking to recruit the Executive Director (ED) as the administrative head to function under the direction of the Chair of the development board. This is a contract based full time position. The term of the ED will remain throughout the tenure of the UoN-DB.
3. Roles and Responsibilities
As per the UoN-DB formation order, the primary roles and responsibilities of the ED shall include the following:
- Under the direction of the UoN-DB Chair, oversee all operations and management of the development board.
- In accordance with the prevailing law, oversee and manage public procurement of construction, equipment, other materials and consulting services, including preparation of necessary tender documents and bidding notices for this purpose.
- Prepare the work plan towards establishment of the University and submit to the UoN-DB for approval.
- Lead and monitor all necessary works of the board including human resource management and financial administration.
- Prepare and implement job descriptions of all staff, experts and advisors appointed within the UoN-DB.
- Liaise with national and international universities and institutions and form memorandum of understanding (MoU) as approved by the UoN-DB.
- As the administrative head, exercise authority as per the prevailing laws of public procurement.
- Ensure implementation of decisions made by the UoN-DB.
- Any other responsibilities designated by the UoN-DB.
4. Eligibility Qualifications
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in any of the fields of Humanities and Social Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Law, Management, Sciences or Education.
- A minimum of 7 years’ professional experience working in a senior management and leadership role, preferably in an educational institution of high repute.
5. Skills, Knowledge and Attributes
- Proven knowledge and skills to effectively perform the roles and responsibilities as defined above under section 3.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and organizational skills (preferably in an academic institution).
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal (in both Nepali and English).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player with the ability to engage with a diverse range of both national and international stakeholders and partners.
- Proactive personality with a drive for getting timely results.
- Strong strategic orientation and competent abilities to translate and effectively implement the UoN-DB’s decisions into meaningful outcomes.
6. Compensation and Benefits:
- The compensation and benefits will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience, as per the rules of UoN-DB.
Application submission: Interested and eligible candidates are requested to submit their CV including details of two referees and a cover letter, and email it to [email protected] by September 8, 2021 COB.
Only those candidates successful in the selection round will be contacted for the interview round.