At SNV we believe that no-one should have to live in poverty. We are dedicated to a society in which all people, irrespective of race, class or gender, enjoy the freedom to pursue their own sustainable development. We focus on increasing people’s incomes and employment opportunities in productive sectors like agriculture as well as on improving access to basic services such as energy, water, sanitation and hygiene. SNV supports people to access and develop the capabilities, services and opportunities needed to live a healthy, productive and fulfilling life, while sustainably using the natural resources they depend on. Unlike many other development actors, we do not offer funding, but specialize in supporting the resourcefulness of development actors. We work with governments, businesses, knowledge institutes and low-income communities so that together we can transform ideas into policy, policy into action, and action into results. Through our technical knowledge, 50+ years of experience, passionate staff, extensive local presence and global footprint, we strive to make a lasting difference in people’s lives. For Further details, please visit the website: http://www.snv.org
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION / REQUIREMENTS:
Contract type: Consultancy contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
Under Energy sector, SNV Nepal is implementing “EnDev-III Increasing the access to clean energy through pico-hydro and clean cooking technologies in the remote communities of Karnali and Sudurpaschim Provinces of Nepal”. This is the EnDev funded project aims to increase access to clean energy through pico-hydro schemes and clean/improved cooking technologies in the remote communities of Karnali & Sudurpaschim provinces. With regards to Improved Cookstoves, this project aims to develop a private sector let supply chain market for improved/clean cooking technologies under result based financing framework.
SNV is seeking qualified Nepalese for ICS Field Supervisor Position to support for the promotion of Tier 2 and above type cookstoves in the rural communities of Karnali and Sudurpaschim provinces of Nepal.
Objective and Tasks
The objective of this assignment is to support for the promotion of Tier 2 and above type cookstoves in the rural communities of Karnali and Sudurpaschim provinces of Nepal. Specifically, tasks will include but not limited to: Work with the partner Rural/Municipalities and stakeholders for the promotion of quality cookstoves.
- Understanding of ICS (Biomass Energy) sector of the country
- Understanding of Tier levels and Nepal Interim Benchmark for solid biomass Cookstoves
- Basic Computer application: Ms Office, report writing, presentation and negotiation skills
- Understanding of Federal Structure of Country and role of Provincial Government and Local Levels for renewable energy and climate issues.
- Knowledge of Municipal Energy Plan, periodic planning process. Understanding of ICS technologies and their availability in local market.
- This position needs frequent site visits to the fields in Karnali and Sudurpaschim Provinces
- Bachelor’s Degree in Rural Development / Sociology / Social Works / Development Studies / Management or relevant with technical Degree in Civil Sub-Overseer/Overseer.
- 5 years plus experience of working in the ICS/Biomass sector, community level social mobilization experience and understanding of local level biomass energy scenario.
- Extensive work experience at community level, understanding local level planning process and working modality
- Working experience with market-based approaches and public private partnership model(especially in Cookstoves sector)
- Capacity to coordinate with local level stakeholders and line agencies, presentation skills.
- Good reporting and communication skills
- Past experience of working with AEPC associated programmes is desirable
- Past experience of working with private sector (stove manufacturers) is desirable
- Past experience of working in the mid-hills of Karnali and Sudurpaschim provinces will be an asset
- Good language skills (oral and written) in English and Nepali
Report to: Project Leader
Period of Performance: up to March 2021 with possibility of extension on satisfactory performance
Duty Station: Surkhet, Karnali Province
Expected Start Date: April 2020
Contract Type: Consultancy Contract
Required Number of Position: 1
How to Apply:
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV (not more than 3 pages) with motivation letter (not more than 1 page) by clicking on the “I’m interested” button before 29 March 2020.
ONLY SHORTLIST CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
For more information on SNV, please refer to our website: www.snv.org