Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
Position: Administrative and Finance Specialist
Organizational Unit: FANEP
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Nepal-Kathmandu
Duration: 12 months (extendable)
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. FAO helps developing countries in transition modernize and improve agriculture including livestock, forestry, and fisheries practices, ensuring good nutrition and food security for all. Upon request from the Government of Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, the FAO has agreed to provide technical assistance for the execution of the Food and nutrition Security Enhancement Project (FANSEP), UTF/NEP/077/NEP from July 2019 to June, 2023. The project is implemented by Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Development.
FAO Technical Assistance to FANSEP will contribute to achieve the project development objective: improved agricultural productivity and nutrition practices of targeted smallholder farming communities in selected areas of Nepal
Under the direct administrative supervision of the Team Leader and technical supervision of Head of Finance/Admin at Country Office, the Admin and Finance Officer will primarily be responsible for monitoring budgets, forecasting, providing basic administrative and human resource function and reporting on key financial data that enable effective management of project funds and resources.
The admin and Finance officer will support in monitoring budgets, forecasting, providing basic administrative and human resource function and reporting on key financial data that enable effective management of project funds and resources.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
• Contribute towards the development of project specific plans and processes, aligned with FAO policies and processes to meet the needs of the project
• Monitor budgets, and carry out forecasting for new and ongoing activities according to established FAO procedures and requirements
• Assume overall responsibility for timely administrative management support related to day to day project office operations, procurement, property management, logistics, transport operations, insurance, security and personnel management of the project
• Assist Team Leader and other central team members in day to day operation of the project and provide support in project implementation
• Orient project staffs on administrative procedures of the project, provide advice and ensure administrative support as required
• Keep complete personnel files and records such as attendance record, leave record, service contract etc.
• Facilitate in travel authorizations for local travels in line with staffs’ travel plan including security clearance, preparation of mission programs and support logistics for visiting missions, maintain travel record and recommend on related travel claims
• Ensure timely receipt and approval of monthly duty statement of the project staffs and support in completion of timecards in FAO GRMS for the release of staffs’ remuneration
• Manage and maintain office facility, inventory of office supplies, vehicle log books including fuel procurement and consumption record, as well as other records and put in place internal control system
• Keep records of Non-Expendable Equipment (NEE), conduct physical verification on half yearly and yearly basis and prepare report on physical verifications of NEE to be submitted to FAO
• Report on key data for financial status and outcomes of project activities in accordance with corporate governance requirements, ensuring accuracy, deadlines, and accounting processes
• Perform bank reconciliations, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with project requirements
• Provide guidance to all project staff concerning the correct interpretation of financial regulations, rules and procedures
• Deliver core administrative services, working with contractors and following standard processes to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to project staff
• Prepare procurement plan for goods and services/ office supplies as required by the project and in liaison with FAO procurement unit, make necessary arrangement to expedite the procurements as well as assist in the delivery of the consignment at appropriate level
• Assist in organizing various meetings, workshops, consultations and other project events
• Assume overall responsibility for timely financial management support
• Provide support in preparation of projects’ annual, six monthly and monthly budget delivery plans in accordance with the planned activities and facilitate in delivery
• Support in preparation of budgets for project specific trainings, workshops and other activities as per the project work plan and in line with the adopted norms
• Prepare cash advances for various projects’ activities at national, regional and district levels as well as to the partners collaborating under contractual arrangements and support the concerned unit of FAO on approval, releasing and settlement of the advances
• Prepare disbursement vouchers, receipt vouchers, other relevant forms and formats and ensure their adherence by the concerned parties
• Manage petty cash and other project expenditures and ensure that all financial transactions of the project conform to the prevailing rules and procedures of FAO
• Record all projects’ cash advances released for various project activities and ensure proper maintenance of financial record keeping and filing system according to principles of accounting and update it on daily basis
• Maintain electronic shadow copy of all project transactions in line with the FPMIS and monitor projects transactions on monthly interval in line with the planned budget and actual expenditures following the adopted FAO procedures and prepare monthly transaction reports for internal use of project and submission to FAO
• Carry out project budget revisions in line with the approved total project budget and actual expenditures within the stipulated time frame
• Prepare project’s periodic financial reports for submission to government and donors aligning with project agreement
• As per the requirement, provide orientation to the stakeholders, collaborating partners and other concerned on the financial management system of the project
• Perform other project related tasks as assigned by the supervisors
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• National of Nepal
• Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Finance, Management or Business Administration or any related field, master preferred
• Sound knowledge of project administration and financial accounting and reporting
• At least of 5 years of proven experiences in administration and finance with UN or similar development programme or with reputed Non-government organizations
• Having experience of working with multi-disciplinary team will have an advantage
• Working knowledge of English, Nepali and local language
• Candidate should have knowledge of computer skills (MS Office package: word, excel and power point) and financial database management
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Experience and in-depth knowledge in project administration and financial accounting and reporting
• Proven experiences in administration and finance with UN or similar development programme
• Working experience in Food and nutrition security programs
• Knowledge of FAO systems such as GRMS/FPMIS
• Extent of relevant technical experience in the areas mentioned above
• Having experience of working with multi-disciplinary team
• Good working knowledge of English, especially on written
• Knowledge of financial management and budgeting system of both government and UN system
Last date to apply: 10 September 2019
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]