Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH as a federal enterprise supporting the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation.
S2HSP is executed by the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) and supported by GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). S2HSP is in line with the Nepal Health Sector Strategy (NHSS) 2015–2020 and aims to improve access to effective and qualitative healthcare services, particularly for disadvantaged population groups in Nepal. S2HSP is focusing on 5 key result areas: (1) Social Health Protection, (2) Human Resource for Health (3) Governance in Health (4) Strengthening Health Information Systems and (5) Adolescent Health and Development.
Position: Technical Advisor – Health Information Systems
Duty Station: Kathmandu
• For tasks primarily focused on improving data systems for better monitoring of health and health-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at both national and sub-national level)
1. Coordinate with stakeholders for developing digital health systems that link with the Civil Registration and Vital Statistics (CRVS) system(s)
• Coordinate with government and non-government stakeholders including MoHP, Ministry of Home Affairs, Department of National ID and Civil Registration, Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration, External Development Partners, sub-national governments, and academia to design standard processes for data flow between health institutions and the CRVS system 4GIZ Nepal
• Conduct stakeholder analyses to understand the various data systems in use in the health and other social sectors that can contribute to or use data from the CRVS system
• Liaison with WHO and other stakeholders to identify avenues on integrating standardised birth registration and cause of death data into the CRVS system
• Liaison with municipal governments, hospitals and ICT experts from GIZ and beyond to establish systems to ensure notification of birth and death directly from health facilities
2. Provide technical support to all levels of government for the effective monitoring of progress towards the SDGs
• Provide technical support to build capacities at the sub-national level understand the health and health-related SDGs and indicators
• Provide technical support to ensure data and methodology consistency with national level data through coordination with the National Planning Commission and the Central Bureau of Statistics
• Develop understanding among various stakeholders of the current status of municipalities/provinces in achieving the SDGs
• Design systems that use data from a variety of sources to help managers and planners routinely monitor the progress towards SDGs
3. Promote and support the culture of using information for evidence-based decision making
• Support municipalities and health facilities in visualising and using data related to health and health-related SDGs
• Encourage the use of data quality checking tools at municipality level to assess and improve the quality of data being collected by information systems
• Work closely with the Governance in Health thematic area teams of S2HSP to liaise with partner municipalities to promote the use of evidence for decision-making and planning
Required qualifications and experience:
• At least five years of experience in a position as technical advisor / project manager
• Strong professional background in informatics, with previous experience of designing and linking multiple information systems
• Demonstrated previous experience of working with GoN authorities at national and sub-national level
• Knowledge of the various information systems in the health and other social sectors of Nepal
• Understanding of the Civil Registration and Vital Statistics system of Nepal and digital health systems would be an asset. Preferably experience working with international development partners
• Minimally a Masters’ degree in Population Dynamics, Statistics, Demography, Health Informatics, Information Systems, Mathematics, Computer Science or similar.
• Excellent in communication in both English and Nepalese and strong presentation skills
• Very good working knowledge of IT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
Last date to apply: 5 June 2019
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are requested to send a completed application including CV and two referees to the email address [email protected] no later than by 05/June/2019. Only applications sent by email will be accepted.
Please write “Ref. Nr. 19009- Technical Advisor – Health Information Systems” in the subject line while applying for the position.
Only short-listed candidates will be called for written test and interview. No telephone inquiries will be entertained. The organization reserves the right to cancel or postpone the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever.
The salary and social benefits will correspond to the GIZ rule applicable to national staff. Especially women and candidates from underprivileged castes are highly encouraged to apply.
Source: Himalayan Times, 22 May 2019