Project: Gender Responsive School and Community Safety Initiatives
Duty Station: Kamalamai Municipality-06, Sindhuli Field Office.
Working area: Sindhuli District
Contract type: Fix term regular staff
Responsible to: Directly to PC-Hands Nepal/ Gender Responsive School and Community Safety Initiatives, and indirectly to Chairperson of Hands Nepal, Construction Specialist and PC-Resilience of Plan International Nepal
Expertise: Bachelor Degree in Civil Engineering with around 1-year experience or Bachelor Degree in any subject after Diploma in civil engineering (Sub-engineer) with Five year of experience in relevant field.
Background: Gender Responsive School and Community Safety Initiatives is regional project of Plan International Nepal that is going to be implemented in Nepal and Bangladesh with support of Plan International in Asia (ARO) and Japanese National Office. The project will implement in 8 public schools and 24 communities of these school catchment of Dudhuali municipality and Marin RM of Sindhuli district, which will start on July, 2021 for three years. The district have both hills and terai (flat land) which is prone to multiple hazards, the most frequent are landslide, floods, fire and lightening. Out of total school, 101 schools of these two municipalities are at high risk. Basic facilities in schools are neither sufficient nor inclusive. Poor WASH facilities and unavailability of menstrual hygiene management corner in most of school has exacerbated poor menstrual hygiene among adolescent girls. The culture of exclusion combined with the shortage appropriate WASH menstrual hygiene management (MHM) facilities in targeted schools contributes to high rates of school absenteeism leading to poor education outcomes. Even though government has plans to roll out CSSF and School Improvement Plan (SIP) in targeted locations, it has not been fully implemented. Similarly, local government has limited technical as well as financial resources for disaster risk reduction. This project aims to contribute achieving a gender transformative, safer education and learning environment both at school and community levels that responds to and prepares for multi-hazards risks. To achieve its desired goal, the project will work with girls, boys, male and female community members, Parent Teacher Association (PTA), School Management Committees (SMCs), local government and media. Through this project, students especially girls will be trained and promoted as champion of school safety to influence government to have greater buy in on safer and gender responsive infrastructure and environment in schools. During the 3 (three) years implementation, the project aims to achieve a gender transformative, safer education and learning environment both at school and community levels that responds to and prepares for multi-hazards risks. The project expects to achieve three outcomes;
- Strengthened safer and gender responsive school environment aligning with Comprehensive School Safety framework
- Enhanced community DRM capacities that are gender responsive, inclusive and integrated with school preparedness initiatives
- Promotion of gender-responsive safe school initiatives at local, provincial, national, and regional levels.
By the end of the project, about 6,980 people including 2,240 students of 8 schools and its catchment areas of 24 communities in the two municipalities will be supported. This project will promote meaningful participation of girls and boys in schools and their contribution towards the planning and decision-making processes of the community disaster risk reduction and that will also ensure the inclusive actions towards leading to lasting changes for them and their communities. Hands Nepal, Sindhuli is working as a implementing partner of Plan International Nepal in Sindhuli since 2012. The position has to be provided overall responsibility of the construction works of GRSCSI Project as a technical expertise.
- Support to PC to Ccoordinate with district line agencies, local government authorities (Rural/Municipality), communities and all local stakeholders to run the program smoothly
- Technically sound in design and estimate of civil engineering work, AutoCAD, technical support and supervision of construction work, construction measurement and valuation for the construction as per the budget ceiling of the project
- Prepared design and estimation of construction works specially for school’s physical infrastructure such as school buildings, toilets, hand washing stations, play grounds and school’s catchment’s small scale construction work for disaster risk mitigation.
- Orient skill and semi skill human resource on construction, design and estimate, quality assurance, safety protocol and other construction related instruction and supervise them during construction work.
- Ensure quality of work in effective and efficient manners.
- Ensure all construction work should be gender responsive, adolescent, child and disable friendly.
- To prepare valuation report of certificate of completion of construction of the structures in the project implementing areas
- Ensure effective communication between the organization or project teams through line manager on any new developments, possible problem or conflict during the activities and important decisions and directives
- Maintain project related disaggregated beneficiaries’ database with pre-intervention database (baseline) for the purpose of organizational level reporting
- Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual progress reports of the construction works and support to PC for project progress reporting. project related with business development
- Ensure effective communication between the organization, project teams and report immediately on any new developments, changes, financial aspects and important decisions and directives
- To conduct frequent field visits, focus group discussions and key informant interviews
- Should be able to implement the activities based upon the tele-work policy of the organization
- Perform market research to identify new opportunities and engage with executives to establish strategies for pursuing those new opportunities
- Ensuring continuous communication and sharing project information with right holders and communities’ representatives regarding the implementation of works and in order to ensure a flawless progress of activities
- Liaise with all project staffs to ensure that project interventions in timely with concrete project plan and budget as per finalized project documents
- Ensure project development strategies are implanted in the organization and at project level
- Liaise with the other organizations implementing similar project to learn, effective implementation and avoid the duplication.
- Support PC for project monitoring and data management. and also act as M&E officer of the project
- Support Hands Nepal’s procurement committee for purchase of construction materials through supporting them for bidding document preparation and inspection of quality of construction materials.
- Carry out other as per project need and supervisor suggested work
Qualified candidates are requested to drop their letter of interest along with an updated CV to [email protected] no later than 22th October, 2021.
Please clearly mention the position you are applying in the subject line. The application without cover letter and CV and not meeting the required criteria will not be considered for the position.
Only the shortlisted candidates meeting the criteria will be called for a written test and interview. Hands Nepal has the sole right to accept or reject applications for these positions. HANDS Nepal encourages women and candidates from Dalit/Janjati and sexual minority to apply.