Organization: Asian Development Bank
Position: Senior Public Management Officer
Reference Number: 200453
Position Level: NS 3
Department: South Asia Department
Division: Nepal Resident Mission
Location: Nepal Resident Mission
Date Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2020
Closing Date: Thursday, October 22, 2020 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Nepal.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Nepal Resident Mission (NRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. NRM is supporting the Government of Nepal’s development objective of accelerated, sustainable, inclusive economic growth.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Public Management Officer will contribute to NRM by supporting and/or leading in the preparation and administration of technical assistance (TA) and loan portfolio in the governance and public sector management areas, including public financial management (PFM), policy and institutional reforms, public service delivery, and other general sector activities. The incumbent will report to Country Director and/or designated International Staff and may supervise Administrative Staff.
• Provides overall support to, and guidance on, ADB-financed projects in public sector management and associated governance and financial management systems.
• Identifies and promotes opportunities for including governance dimensions as specified in ADB’s Second Governance and Anticorruption Action Plan (GACAP II) in ongoing and pipeline programs and projects.
• Leads governance risk assessment at the national, sector, and program/project levels as per the GACAP II guidelines.
• Undertakes country performance assessment in the areas of public sector management and associated governance.
• Undertakes policy dialogue in well-governed public sector management, including PFM, policy and institutional reforms, public service delivery, and financial management and sustainability at the entity level, with government and other relevant stakeholders.
• Represents ADB in relevant development forums and seminars.
• Provides advisory support to ADB staff on issues related to PFM, federalism, and other relevant public management areas associated with governance.
• Maintains an active network with the government, development partners, private sector, and civil society through which ADB can assess public management related issues and associated overall governance framework and seek professional inputs on program and project matters.
• Participates and leads in the processing and administration/review missions of selected loans and TA projects.
• Administers the implementation of relevant loans and TAs delegated to NRM. Monitors projects and reports on portfolio performance.
• Ensures compliance with ADB’s operational guidelines related to processing and administering programs and projects, such as procurement and disbursement policies and procedures.
• Liaises with and orients government counterparts on project implementation and administration matters.
• Takes lead role (as relevant and appropriate) in coordinating with development partners in the areas of governance and public management work.
• Contributes to knowledge development and sharing in various forums on governance and public management related issues, including decentralization/federalism.
• Undertakes institutional assessment of relevant public institutions in relation to their ability to implement programs/projects or policy and institutional reforms.
• Supervises administrative staff who provide support in processing and administration of programs/projects.
• Performs other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s work plan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Public Policy, Public Administration, Economics, Business Administration, Finance, or in other relevant field; a Master’s degree or equivalent would be preferable.
• At least 8 years relevant experience and 4 years of supervisory experience in the areas of public sector management and PFM preferably under decentralized framework, undertaking program/project design and management, policy and institutional reforms, and risk assessments, preferably with international organizations.
• Good knowledge and understanding of Government of Nepal’s laws, policies, systems, and procedures in the areas of governance, public management, and federalism (under the current federal system of governance). Understanding of ADB’s operations, principles, and procedures.
• Strong conceptual and analytical skills and ability to identify issues and appropriate actions.
• Excellent communication skills in English, both speaking and writing.
• Proficiency in the operation of essential software (e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and information technology.
• Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to develop rapport internally and externally in a multicultural environment.
• Ability to mentor Administrative Staff to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review.
• Ability to work collaboratively within teams as a constructive team member.
• For other competencies, relevant to the position, please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 3 – 4.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.
HOW TO APPLY