Organization: Habitat for Humanity International, Nepal
Position: Market Systems Senior Specialist
Number of Vacancies: 1
Date of Announcement: November 25, 2020
Duration: Through December 2021 (Extendable if funding and need permits)
Reports to: Senior Manager – Financial Inclusion
Field Visits: frequent travel to field areas
Location: Habitat Field Office, Biratnagar
Habitat for Humanity Nepal’s vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. Habitat Nepal operates as part of an international network with a common objective of reducing poverty and eliminating substandard housing and homelessness from the world.
We partner with local NGOs in Nepal to strengthen the housing value chain and significantly increase access to market-based housing solutions for low-income families in rural communities underserved by the existing markets.
Habitat Nepal invites applications from highly qualified candidates for the following positions to be fulfilled at Habitat Field Office (HFO in Biratnagar.
Core Function of the position:
The Market Systems Sr. Specialist is a key position of Habitat Nepal’s project with the Hilti Foundation, focused on the adoption of disaster-resilient, durable and affordable treated bamboo housing solutions among low-income families of the Eastern Terai. This new position will lead the design and implementation of market-based strategies for Habitat Nepal and manage and guide activities such as:
- Analyze the value chain supplying treated bamboo for construction purposes in the Eastern Terai identifying interventions to improve and strengthen its performance.
- Guide bamboo treatment centers on a path towards financial profitability.
- Engage with existing housing market actors to identify mutually benefiting initiatives, such as suppliers of low-cost construction materials and services, that may become partners in increasing access to safe and affordable housing.
- Use human-center design (HCD) approaches to rapidly co-create prototypes with partners and test potential solutions that could increase the demand and supply for bamboo housing solutions.
- Support activities that promote the adoption of safe shelter, house constructions and designs among suppliers, laborers, and consumers of low-cost housing solutions.
- Engage with the public sector actors and other housing market stakeholders to identify and influence relevant regulations and housing standards
- Other duties requested by the supervisor. Reporting and Coordination
- The Market Systems Senior Specialist reports directly to the Senior Manager – Financial Inclusion.
- S/he must work in close coordination with partner NGOs, members of the private sector, government entities and other ecosystem actors.
Professional Experience, Knowledge and Skill:
- Successful experience designing and leading strategies strengthening the supply-side provision of goods or services that improve quality of life for low income sectors.
- Concrete experience in conducting value chain analyses, market assessments, client or human-centered design processes, and developing programs to increase awareness and demand for worthy products and services.
- Experience implementing market systems development approaches, making markets work for the poor (M4P) or value chain development frameworks for NGO programming.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Nepali are required.
- Experience working with local government, private sector, NGOs, and INGOs is expected.
- Experience pitching ideas to private sector audiences to garner buy-in, understanding of how to speak the language of the private sector
- Knowledge of low-income housing markets, community development, and/or microfinance are a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience or a master’s degree with at least 3 years of relevant work experience.
Last date to apply: December 9, 2020
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply with an updated resume and application letter mentioning expected monthly gross salary. Please indicate the position applied in subject of the email and send it by December 9, 2020 addressed to:
Human Resource Department, Habitat for Humanity International, Nepal.
E-mail: [email protected]
to learn more about our work
In accordance with its foundational mission principles, Habitat for Humanity is committed to the highest ethical standards and opposes all forms of discrimination, exploitation, and abuse. Our intent is to create and maintain a work and life environment that is safe, productive, and respectful for our colleagues and for all we serve.
Habitat for Humanity International Nepal is an equal opportunity organization. Women, persons with disabilities, marginalized and disadvantage communities and local candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps in recruitment. Habitat for Humanity International Nepal reserves the right to accept or reject any applications without assigning any reasons whatsoever