Organization: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – a related organization of the United Nations – is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration. It works to meet the growing operational challenges of migration, advance understanding of migration issues, encourage social and economic development through migration and uphold the well-being and human rights of migrants.
Position: Project Assistant
Duty Station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Classification: General Service Staff, Ungraded
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term Ungraded, 4 months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: August 11, 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Migration and Development is core to IOM programme activities. This is particularly of importance in Nepal, as the country depends on the benefits of the migration and migrants. IOM Nepal has been implementing several projects to support Government to harness the positive development impact of migration, addressing protection concerns of the migrants, socio-economic reintegration of the migrants and promoting ethical recruitment.
Under the direct supervision of National Migration and Development Officer and the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the incumbent will assist with the socio-economic reintegration and resettlement operational activities of the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Work with the team to plan, organize and coordinate activities related to socio-economic reintegration, protection and entrepreneurship promotion of the returnee migrants and their families in particular of the returnees affected by the COVID-19.
• Assist to formulate and implement a capacity building plan for actors at local levels to support the delivery of programme activities on migration and development.
• Collect and systematically organize and analyze existing information from academic, UN, NGO, private sector and governmental sources dealing with migration.
• Assist in regular monitoring the work of implementing partners, including the administrative, programmatic, and technical assistance to partners as required.
• Support in promoting IOM’s achievements, producing visibility material, newsletters on Migration and Development and organizing events.
• Represent IOM at relevant seminars and meetings, as well as other events aimed at promoting IOM’s activities.
• Support in the development and/or contextualization of training aids and information tools ranging from posters, short manuals, guidelines and brochures incl. easy-to-understand layout and content development in close coordination with the relevant experts, team members and/or Regional Thematic Specialists.
• Support the Migration and Development team on donor reporting, including facilitating the preparation of interim and final donor reports in accordance with IOM procedures and donor requirements.
• Maintaining electronic filing system of all the returnees to ensure that all the relevant documents are recorded in an organized manner.
• Support the maintenance of the database of returnee migrants and create regular statistical and analytical reports.
• Conduct monitoring and research field visit of the returnee and reintegration activities.
• Participate in the research related field visits as required.
• Undertake duty travel relating to project/programme activities, as required.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Human/Social Science, Business/Administration or related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant work experience; or
• High school degree in above field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant work experience.
• Experience in working with International Organization, Government and Diplomatic authorities is an asset.
• Ability to manage logistic and administrative aspect of the projects.
• An experience in the area of return and reintegration, resettlement, Airlines field an advantage.
• Experience in liaising with government and diplomatic authorities as well as with the national and international institution.
• Familiar with financial and business administration.
• Experience in drafting narrative project reports and project documents.
Fluency in English, Nepali is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticismsClient Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
• Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources Presents goals as shared interests
• Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
• Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment. Only Nepali Nationals will be considered for this position.
Last date to apply: 11 August 2020
HOW TO APPLY
Interested Candidates are requested to submit their application indicating clearly the position applied, VN number and CV with three references to the following address: Human Resource Department, International Organization for Migration, P.O. Box 25503, Baluwatar, Kathmandu or email to [email protected] by 11 August 2020. Only short listed candidates will be called for interview.