Organization: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that strives for just a world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been working in Nepal since 1978 to help marginalised girls and boys, their families, and communities for accessing their rights to survival, development, protection. and participation. We implement programmes through local development partners in 24 districts in cooperation with the Nepal government, civil society organisations, and schools.
Plan International Nepal is fully committed to the gender-responsive safeguarding of all children and young people from all forms of violence.
We invite application from interested and eligible candidates for the following position:
Position: Senior Technical Advisor-Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Management
Number of Vacancies: 1
Functional Area : Program
Reports to : Director of Program Quality and Innovation
Location : Country Office, Kathmandu
Travel required : Plan International Nepal working districts
Effective Date : 1st July 2020
Grade : D2
Type : Senior level role with Fixed Term Employment for 2 years based in Country Office
ABOUT PLAN INTERNATIONAL
Plan International is a development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in over 75 countries. Our programs are underpinned by a core of defined values, including transparency and accountability, team collaboration, inclusion and integration, as well as the overall ambition to empower girls and young women as legacy.
Plan International has been working in Nepal since 1978 and developed a strong reputation as a respected development and humanitarian actor helping marginalised children, their families and communities to access their rights to health, education, economic security and protection. Through the support of local partners, Plan International works in 24 districts in Nepal.
Plan International Nepal has a vision for 2030 as “an inclusive, just and safe society where all girls and young women enjoy their rights and live in freedom”. This is coupled with the ambition of taking action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive as “Girls and young women in all of their diversity reach their full potential as equal and active citizens” by 2023. The country strategy is put into action through the implementation of three interrelated program areas defined as follows:
LEARN: the “Education and Skills and Opportunities for Youth Employment and Entrepreneurship (SOYEE)” program aims to assist vulnerable and excluded girls and young women in adapting and thriving in a changing climate;
LEAD AND DECIDE: the “Youth as Active Drivers of Change and Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR)” program aims to empower girls and young women in leading change, having control over their bodies and making informed decisions; and
THRIVE: the “Early Childhood Development (ECD), Child Protection and Child Poverty” program enhances vulnerable and excluded children, especially girls, to be valued and cared for without discrimination, fear and any forms of violence.
Plan international Nepal seeks candidates who practice feminist leadership, promote diversity, actively seek innovative solutions for problems, courageously and respectfully share their opinions and ideas, break down barriers and engender cross-department collaboration, practice active listening, maintain confidentiality, build trust and are passionate about children’s rights and equality for girls.
The Senior Technical Advisor initiates and provides conceptual and strategic direction for programme design, capacity building, quality assurance as well as technical leadership and support in matters related to climate change and disaster risk management as a cross cutting approach, integrated in all programs of Plan International.
S/he leads and supports the development of strategies pertaining to -and support the implementation of- cost effective and efficient climate change and disaster risk management solutions which can address key context specific challenges of the country.
S/he works in an integrated manner with other teams in both the Country Office and Field Offices to ensure that Plan International Nepal’s programs maximise their positive impact for children and young people. S/he aims to achieve a rights-based, gender transformative and inclusive program focusing on national level influencing while supporting provincial, district and municipal level influencing through Plan International’s field offices.
Finally, s/he is responsible for strengthening positive and trustworthy relationships and partnerships with a broad range of external stakeholders that have the potential to add value to our work and create positive disruptions to existing approaches.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
• Budget accountability: ~ Euro 50,000 approx. (varies annually)
• Internal and External interfaces:
Design and Develop strategy/framework
• Define and develop sectoral program strategy drawing on evidence and emerging practices in Nepal, globally and from within Plan International
• Responsible for the development of the Disaster Manager Program and the Climate Change Program achieving the gender transformative goal incorporating all cross-cutting elements identified in the Country Strategy;
• Incorporate innovation and new ways of creating positive change for children and young people through program and influencing; and
• Identify, develop and disseminate tools, guidelines and standards for the implementation of effective resilience and climate change work within the organization.
Project Technical Support
• Provide strategic technical advice and support for programme design and implementation of the Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management projects by working in close coordination with the project management team as well as providing technical support to the field office.
• Provide technical advice and support as part of the regular program reviews and provide feedback to the program team at Country Office and Field Office levels; and
• Provide technical support in the development of stand-alone and cross-cutting resilience projects to country offices through close coordination with regional Head of DRM.
• Proactively seek out opportunities for funding, investigating and developing innovative and creative new relationships in disaster management and climate change;
• Work in collaboration with the Business Development Team and NO on proposal design and budget allocation:
• Responsible for all new project designs in that sector developing proposals ensuring compliance with required quality and standards of donors and regularly reviewing donors report and progress and improve quality.
Working with Partnerships
• Collaborate with the Field Implementation and Partnership Manager, Field Offices and strategic partners to achieve program quality as per Program Quality Policy and comply with all partnerships obligations;
• Critically evaluate partner’s capacity in terms of technical skills for project delivery; and
• Responsible for the design of a training plan to enhance the Partner’s capacity and monitor it regularly in coordination with Field Implementation and Partnership Manager.
Advocacy & Influencing
• Provide leadership to develop priority national campaigns ensuring harmonization with global priority campaigns in collaboration with the Director of Influencing, Campaigns and Communications;
• Lead sectoral networking and representation and build relationships and alliances with relevant networks, government bodies, federations and other agencies;
• Lead evidence-based lobby and advocacy within the sectoral program and work closely with the Director of Influencing, Campaigns & Communication in planning and delivering campaigning and advocacy work and ensure that programme plans include influencing objectives; and
• Coordinate the production of briefing papers, policy position and public communication materials.
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
• Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
• Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
• Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
• Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
• Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
• Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
• Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
• Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
• Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
• Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
• Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
• Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
• Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.W
We are inclusive and empowering
• We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
• We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
• We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Knowledge and Experience
• Master’s Degree in relevant field with 2-3 years of proven experience preferred or Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant sector with 4-5 years of demonstrated experience working in a senior position leading, advising or managing Disaster Management program portfolio;
• Demonstrated experience in climate change and/or disaster related program management including program design, implementation and evaluation and resource management;
• In depth practical knowledge of inter disciplinary development issues affecting children, women and families;
• Demonstrated experience in successfully using key influencing strategies such as advocacy, lobbying, movement building, or policy development;
• Experienced in carrying out power, policy and political analysis to inform strategies and projects
• Demonstrated analytical, strategic thinking and negotiating skills;
• Strong communication, coordination and negotiation skills;o
• Demonstrated ability to build positive and trustworthy relations for influencing;
• Experience in managing time and resource constraints;
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and Nepali in order to communicate complex and technical information to technical and general audiences; and
• Proven IT skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.
• Based in Country Office, Lalitpur with travel to project areas;
• Ability to work in challenging environments and circumstances (remote, disaster areas, etc.); and
• Work with multi-culture and multi-lingual staff/team members.
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children.
Say Yes ! To Keeping Children and Young people safe and Protected.
Last date to apply: 11 August 2020