Position: Construction Quality Manager (CQM) – Nepal
Duration: Full time for 12 months
Duty station: Nepalgunj
Report to: Chief of Party
Vacancy code: 2021-06
Closing Date: July 28, 2021
The USAID-funded Swachchhata Project aims to contribute to Nepal’s Country Development Cooperation Strategy goal of a healthier and well-nourished population. With the overall purpose of improving community health status by improved integration of hygiene in health services, the project utilizes an integrated approach with a dual focus on (i) improving quality of health service delivery and (ii) improved hygiene behavior in peripheral health facilities (health posts and primary healthcare centres). The Project is implemented jointly by DevWorks International (dba SNV USA) and its partner PSI. The Project works in seven districts: in Rukum East in Lumbini Province and in Rukum West, Jajarkot, Salyan, Dolpa, Sukhet and Dailekh in Karnali Province.
The CQM will work closely with the Swachchhata team to supervise, monitor and support the construction/rehabilitation of water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) infrastructures in 50 health facilities. The CQM will provide overall managerial support to ensure Swachchhata achieves its infrastructure-related deliverables and results and contributes to the overall purpose and objectives of the Activity. S/he will be responsible for managing two Swachchhata Construction Quality Supervisors (CQSs) and four District Coordinators based in the districts, as well as ensuring the quality of construction work by supporting development of technical surveys, designs and cost estimates, and monitoring and supervising construction and post- construction activities of a local construction firm, conducted with inclusive stakeholder participation. The CQM will also monitor quality of trainings that the CQSs, District Coordinators and the construction firm conduct, and ensure effective synergies with infection prevention, behaviour change communication, environmental protection and gender and social inclusion interventions. The CQM will report to the Swachchhata Chief of Party. S/he will coordinate with other Swachchhata staff as well as stakeholders.
- Prepare monthly plans of action and obtain approvals from Swachchhata’s Chief of Party (CoP) accordingly.
- Serve as the line manager to District Coordinators, Construction Quality Supervisors and the local construction firm. Monitor and approve the deliverables of the local construction firm.
- Guide, supervise, monitor, and ensure the quality of new/rehabilitated WASH construction works – drinking water supply schemes, toilets, handwashing facilities, and maintenance systems, among others – providing feedback and guidance in preparing the design, estimation and bill of quantities of WASH construction schemes based on Government of Nepal codes and specifications and USAID-approved guidelines.
- Work closely with Swachchhata’s District Coordinators and the technical team to coordinate with respective Municipalities/Rural Municipalities (M/RM) and other relevant government stakeholders.
- Monitor and ensure that all local and non-local materials, workmanship and construction/ rehabilitation works are transparent and in full compliance with health facility contract plans and with Government of Nepal, USAID, and Swachchhata’s specifications and standards.
- In general, monitor the technical teams verifying the quality and sustainability of the infrastructure construction work, and together with the Swachchhata team, conduct public audits at the end of construction activities.
- Carry-out regular field monitoring visits in a professional manner ensuring all targets and deadlines are met in timely manner.
- In close coordination with Swachchhata team members, ensure effective synergies with infection prevention, behaviour change communication, environmental protection and gender and social inclusion interventions.
- Proactively foster collaborations with other relevant USAID-funded projects, development partners and government and non-government stakeholders.
- Perform other tasks as deemed necessary by the Swachchhata team and approved by the Chief of Party.
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering.
- Master’s degree in WASH, Environmental Health, Public Health, Rural Development, or related field.
- At least 7 years of experience in managing and implementing donor-funded community and/or institutional infrastructure programs related to rural water supply, sanitation and hygiene in Nepal.
- At least 5 years’ experience in project cycle management gained by conducting participatory needs analyses, prioritisation, project planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a supervisory role.
- As least 2 years’ experience managing a private sector or NGO partnership, including contracts management.
- Good proficiency in MS Excel, Word, Outlook and Powerpoint, as well as AutoCAD or another engineering software.
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team, coordinate tasks, and work with minimum supervision.
- Strong English and Nepali written and spoken skills.
How to Apply
To apply, interested Nepalese nationals should submit a cover letter and CV by Wednesday, 28 July 2021 to: [email protected] stating the proper Vacancy Code in the email subject line. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.