Company: Strengthening Systems for Better Health
Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity is a 5-year project aimed at improving health outcomes in Nepal, particularly for the most marginalized and disadvantaged groups in the country. This will be accomplished through supporting the Government of Nepal’s efforts to expand access to and use of quality maternal, newborn and child health and family planning services, with a specific focus on newborn care. Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity was initiated in January 2018 and will achieve three outcomes:
(i) improving access to and utilization of equitable healthcare services,
(ii) improving the quality of health services at facility and community levels and
(iii) improving health system governance, within the context of decentralization and federalism.
The Activity is implemented in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Population, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration at federal level, provincial and municipal governments, facility and community level health service providers and other key stakeholders. Project technical staff will engage at national, provincial and municipal levels in the target geographic areas of Karnali Province and Banke, Bardiya, and Dang Districts of Province 5.
Position: Technical Officer – Maternal, Newborn, Child Health and Family Planning
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 4
SUPERVISOR: Deputy Team Lead
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE: July 2019 – September 2022 – (annual contract with renewal based on staff performance and funding availability)
LOCATION: Any of Humla, Dolpa, Mugu, Jumla, Rukum – West, Jajarkot, Kalikot, Dailekh, Surkhet, Salyan, Dang, Banke, and Bardiya
With support of province based MNCH FP Specialist, the Technical Officer – MNCH FP will work collaboratively with other Technical Officers (Information System and Health Systems) and with the District Coordination Committees (DCCs), District Health Offices (DHOs), or their equivalent in new federal structure, selected Municipality officials, to support/facilitate implementation and quality of the maternal, newborn and child health and family planning activities at municipality level. Liaise with other development partners primarily working in the field of MNCH and FP.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES:
1. Program Support (LOE 80%)
• Facilitate/Support in implementation of all MNCH and FP components for Strengthening Systems for Better Health Activity at district and local (municipality and health facility) level
• Mentor, coach and support municipality and health facility team members in MNCH and FP initiatives
• Work closely with other Technical Officers and support team at Surkhet field office and ensure appropriate coordination with work streams overseen by those colleagues
• Lead and prepare to conduct situation assessments, documentation and timely dissemination of existing MNCH and FP initiatives in health primarily focusing on assigned areas and incorporate appropriate initiatives into Activity work plans and work plan prepared by Palika governments
• Prepare implementation plan of MNCH and FP initiatives and ensure timely delivery of activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans) at field level
2. Capacity Building (LOE 10%)
• Identify gaps, approaches to improve clinical service delivery focusing maternal, newborn child health and family planning at municipal and facility level
• Develop capacity building plans for stakeholders (esp health facility based providers and municipality level health staff ) linking capacity building initiatives to wider opportunities identified on effective MNCH and FP initiatives
• Identification and facilitation of capacity building measures for government and selected private sector hospitals KAHS on clinical and management aspects of MNCH and FP, in coordination with Surkhet-based MNCH/FP and other Specialists
• Work closely with health care providers, different management committee members, community groups, local NGOs and CBOs, coordination committees to ensure that they have clear objectives, plans and support to enhance community support for demand generation, management of health system, monitoring service delivery from equity perspectives
3. Coordination (LOE 10%)
• Represent SSBH team in selected technical working groups (especially on MNCH/FP) at municipality level
• Collaborate and work with line agencies including Municipalities, DCCs and other implementing partners and development agencies at local level for smooth operations of activities on MNCH and FP activities
• Work with provincial team and other members of the multi-disciplinary local teams, local elected bodies and councils at sub-provincial level to ensure their engagement and support for planning, implementing, monitoring of MNCH and FP related project activities
• Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine or Nursing, or Public Health with Health Assistance/Staff Nurse background
• At least Six years of related professional experience with Technical Knowledge and understanding of MNCH and family planning.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in team in remote areas
• Manage multiple tasks concurrently; meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality
• Understanding of Government of Nepal’s health care delivery system including service availability, utilization, quality aspects.
• Ability to travel in remote areas of assigned districts within short notice; those who are from and/or working in the Karnali Province will be given preference.
• Strong networking and computer proficiency skills
• Excellent written/oral skills in Nepali and English
Last date to apply: 25 May 2019
HOW TO APPLY