Position: Office Manager / F&A Officer – STF Dhangadi, Nepal (73996)
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The goal of the USAID | Sajedhari – Support to Federalism (STF) project, implemented by Abt Associates is to provide technical assistance to the Government of Nepal (GoN) in transitioning from a unitary state to a federation of provinces with more effective, accountable, responsive and inclusive local governance. The key objectives of the STF Project are : (a) The GoN creates and implements sound policies and legislation that are informed by evidence, and empower, finance, and regulate provincial and municipal governments; (b) The targeted province and select municipal governments therein are more responsive, inclusive, accountable, transparent, and effective in decision making and delivering priority services to fulfilling core legal responsibilities; and (c) Citizens and civil society organizations in targeted geographic areas, including the historically marginalized, actively participate local decision-making and oversight.
Under the supervision of the Director of Finance and Administration (F&A) in Kathmandu, the Finance and Administrative Officer, will be responsible for all project financial transactions, allocate costs to appropriate projects and tasks, prepare periodic financial statements and reports, and keep the records of the accounting books up to date. The position is based in Dhangadi, Nepal.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Finance and Accounting:
- In liasion with the DCOP and Director of F&A in Kathmandu, manages all key financial transactions at the provincial level
- Holds regular meeting with the DCOP and Director of F&A and report on finace and adminsitrative matters as needed and all aspects of financial procedures and any related issues
- Records expenditures, income, and any other related transactions, in the books of accounts
- Prepares payment vouchers and correspoonding checks
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations
- Checks petty cash payments and periodically reconciles petty cash balances
- Ensures that the books of accounts are up to date at all times, orderly, well kept, and readily available for reference and audit, when required
- Prepares the monthly ROV in accordance with Abt Associates procedures and policies
- Prepares monthly cash requests, and promptly advises action required to cover estimated costs
- Review the advance settlement and payments documents to ensure that the documents are in compliance with Abt Associates rules and regulation and make the payment
- Review the travel expenses report of project Staff, Partners and Government staff and make the payment
- Ensures day to day adminstrative running of the offce
- Assit Kathmandu HR in preparation of payroll and other regular payments with due consideration to deductions (for advances, loans, taxes, etc)
- Ensures that government taxes are paid on time
- Ensure that periodic enrty of VAT is done after collection of VAT invoices from all the partner agencies, get files ready for sending to Kathamndu Office submission to USAID
- Ensures that periodic inventory of the fixed assets (property) of the company is conducted
- Assists the project in the implementation of the internal control system and financial procedures manual of the company
- Provide support in program activities, meeting, seminar, workshop, booking venue, preparation material and logisitcs support
- Other Offical works assigned by the Supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Management, Business, or other relevant field
- At least five years of professional experience in Accounting and Program Financial Management
- Experience working at international development programs, with experience at USAID-funded programs highly desirable
- Experience in payroll management, petty cash management, financial reporting, and budget tracking
- Experience in inventory management is desirable
- A self-starter that is able to perform under pressure is preferred
- A strong command of financial and other computer applications such as MS Word, Excel, Quicken, Access, etc.
- English language capability
- (2+) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.