Organization: UN WOMEN
Position: International Consultant – Communication for Development (C4D)
Location : Remote and training facilitation in Kathmandu, NEPAL
Additional Category : Gender Equality
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Expected Duration of Assignment : 20 working days, spread over four months after the contract is signed
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Nepal, the most fundamental socio-cultural root causes of vulnerability is the structural discrimination emanating from socio-cultural traditions, norms, and practices developed over centuries, including patriarchy, the caste system and other causes of economic and political domination of certain communities over others. Many women, therefore, face multiple forms of discrimination in addition to gender, which could be based on class, caste, geography, language, religion, and sexual orientation. Young women in particular are underrepresented in the work force and women’s mobility, especially during the formative adolescence and youth years, is restricted – exactly at the time when boys develop their political and leadership skills.
Individuals considered of lower caste continue to be excluded from certain jobs and services, and Dalits earn considerably less than non-Dalits. Discriminatory treatment of persons with disabilities is widespread. While the Constitution provides rights to sexual and gender minority citizens, political advances have not yet been fully implemented, and lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender,? intersex and queer (LGBTIQ+) individuals experience discrimination and violence in numerous aspects of their life. In its Strategic Note, the UN Women Nepal Country Office’s (NCO) recognises that achieving the inclusive vision of the Constitution and SDG principle of leaving no one behind requires reaching beyond gender equality and addressing the intersectionality between gender discriminations and other forms of exclusion and marginalization.
UN Women recognises social norm change as a critical development priority and has adopted Communications for Development (C4D) as its approach to mobilising awareness and action in challenging the beliefs and social practices which underlie gender inequality in Nepal. This will require that the NCO increase expertise in C4D methodologies among its staff and partners to enable deeper engagement with communities where multi-directional and inter-generational dialogues will enhance sharing, listening and understanding as the basis for action and change.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of Communications for Development (C4D) Officer and in close collaboration with the UN Women programme staff, the Consultant will be responsible to develop? training tools and facilitate a five days training on C4D focusing on gender discriminatory norms related to inclusive governance and women’s economic empowerment. The Consultant will also provide required follow-up technical assistance to selected training participants to help them apply the training learnings to programme implementation. The detailed scope of work and responsibilities of the assignment are as follows;
• Develop and administer learning needs assessment (LNA) with workshop participants;
• Analyse and summarise the results of LNA;
• Develop workshop plan, agenda and tools based on LNA results and inputs from NCO to ensure a variety of approaches to enhance learning, including to support skills development of national facilitator/s;
• Work closely with NCO to ensure logistical planning and administrative support;
• Lead the facilitation of the five-days‘ workshop, guide work of national facilitator/s;
• Develop and administer workshop monitoring tool. Analyse results for feedback to participants and final report;
• Develop final report including workshop outputs, analysis of?lessons learned and recommendations for future actions;
• Provide follow-up technical support to participants and NCO. The technical support includes review of two discussion tools (3 days); remote one-to-one coaching to selected training participants on C4D approaches (7 days). The remote coaching plan will be developed in consultation with C4D Officer after the training.
1. Learning Needs Assessment Tool, summary and analysis of results;
2. Workshop Agenda and Plan;
3. Tools for Pre and Post Workshop Assessments;
4. Collated Workshop Documents, Presentations and Group Work;
5. Workshop Report;
6. Final Report with lessons learned and recommendations for future actions;
7. Detailed plan for follow-up technical support to participants and NCO;
8. Final report on technical support (The technical support includes review of two discussion tools (3 days); remote one-to-one coaching to selected training participants on C4D approaches (7 days). The remote coaching plan will be developed in consultation with C4D Officer after the training.
Duration of assignment and duty station
The duration of this assignment will be of 20 working days spread over four months on a retainer basis. The assignment will be conducted mainly remotely with in-person facilitation of workshop in Kathmandu (5 days). The tentative allocation of working days proposed is: 5 working days for in-person facilitation of a training workshop; 5 working days for preparation (including a LNA and development of training tools and other relevant training materials) and report writing; and 10 working days for the provision of the follow-up technical assistance. The consultant may need to travel to Nepal, as and when required.
Schedule of Payments
Payment will be made on the basis of the quantity of the work actually delivered and upon certification of satisfactory performance by the supervisor.?
• UN Women will cover the travel costs as per standard UN rate for authorized official travels.
• The consultant will be provided with access to the UN Women office for printing of relevant documents during the assignment.
• The consultant will be required to provide their own local communications such as SIM cards and mobile phone.
• It is mandatory for the consultant to participate in a UN security briefing and to follow UN security rules and guidance.
• It is the Consultant’s responsibility to arrange private insurance.
• The Consultant will be required to provide a Statement of Good Health, endorsed by a certified Medical Practitioner.
• UN Women will cover logistical and administration cost of the training.
Core Values and Guiding Principles
• Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
• Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work; and
• Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
• Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
• Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
• Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multiethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
• Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
• Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
• Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
• Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge; and
• Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in social studies, social anthropology, gender studies, communication, development studies or relevant field.
• Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in communication for development, gender equality and prevention of violence against women and girls;
• Up-do-date knowledge of current theories and programme trends on communication for development, social norms change, gender equality and women’s empowerment.
• Past experience of designing and facilitating trainings and workshops on Social and Behavioural Change Communication.
• Excellent command of written and oral English and some knowledge of local language (Nepali) will be an advantage.
Last date to apply: 12 February 2020