Position: Associate Project Coordinator
Post Number : 4NPED0001PA
Grade : P-2
Parent Sector : Field Office
Duty Station: Kathmandu
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 30-NOV-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Joint Programme on Empowering Adolescent Girsl and Young Women through Education is a joint initiative between UNESCO, UNFPA and UN Women, launched in in three participating countries of Mali, Nepal and Tanzania. Under the framework of the above global partnership, the UNESCO Office in Kathmandu is implementing the Joint Programme on “Empowering Adolescent Girls and Young Women through the provision of Comprehensive Sexuality Education and a Safe Learning Environment in Nepal” with support from the Republic of Korea through the Korea International Cooeration Agency (KOICA) and in close cooperation with the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology.
Under the supervision of the Head of the UNESCO Office in Kathmandu and in close cooperation with the Section of Education for Inclusive and Gender Equality in Headquarters, the incumbent will be involved in the management, coordination, planning and implementation of the activities within the UNESCO-UNFPA-UN Women Joint Programme on “Empowering Adolescent Girls and Young Women through the Provision of Comprehensive Sexuality Education and a Safe Learning Environment in Nepal” funded by the Korean International Cooperation Agency. Specifically, s/he will:
- Ensure operational, programmatic and administrative management and implementation of the country project in accordance with results-based management. This includes collaborating with Participating UN Organizations, coordinating the development of joint annual work plans, managing the budgetary and administrative aspects of the project, and facilitating monitoring, evaluation and reporting of results, based on the requirements of the project included in the project agreement.
- Convene regular coordination meetings with Participating UN Organizations, and establish close coordination with the Ministry of Education and other relevant ministries and the national mechanisms for gender mainstreaming/ gender equality.
- Participate in appropriate national, regional and global forums on gender, education and health, and identify opportunities for synergies with national policy, standard setting, and programming in Nepal.
- Ensure administrative and logistical management of the project activities in line with UNESCO rules and regulations supervising and working in close collaboration with the Administrative Officer and the team for the implementation of the project activities, including the monitoring of budgets and provision of risk analyses and mitigation strategies for successful implementation.
- Prepare and share, on a regular basis, progress updates with participating UN Organizations and the KOICA local office.
- Prepare periodic donor reports for timely submission in close collaboration with participating UN Organizations and implementing partners.
- Support Joint Programme communication, including providing inputs for website, press releases, speeches, presentations, to raise the visibility of the project and girls’ and women’s education, and the partnerships with UNFPA, UN Women and the donor.
- Document and share lessons learned from the Joint Programme, including approaches, methodologies, tools, success and challenges, with a view to sustainability, programme scale up and support to knowledge exchange.
- Facilitate the development of an inter‐agency resource mobilization strategy, and play an active role with the Joint Programme partners in resource mobilization, including proposal developments, submission and follow‐up with donors.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in the field of education, social sciences, or related field.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant experience in the field of education, including development work of which preferably one (1) year acquired at international level.
- Experience in the development, implementation, management and evaluation of projects based on results-based management and/or programmes in the field of education.
- Excellent coordination and networking skills.
- Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships inside and outside of the Organization.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to prepare reports and to present in clear and concise ways.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and to maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural environment.
- Familiarity with procurement processes and budgetary management.
- Ability to take initiative and to manage heavy workload; to work under pressure, with capacity for accuracy, paying close attention to detail and quality of work.
- Excellent knowledge of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of UNESCOs mission, C/4 and C/5 strategies.
- Knowledge of Korean.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Last date to apply: 30 November 2020
HOW TO APPLY