Organization: World Vision International
Position: Policy and Communications Director
Number of Vacancies: 1
Job Location: Lalitpur
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Orchestrate World Vision International Nepal’s multi-pronged Communications, Advocacy and Campaign, Government and External Engagement Strategies and approaches to shape child-friendly policies formulation and implementation; and to promote partnership and collaboration with key stakeholders (Government of Nepal at all level, donors/development partners, peer local and International NGOs, media, private sectors, community leaders, social enterprises etc) in order to scale up impacts of child-focused development, advocacy and humanitarian programs – contributing the improvement of the well-being of the most vulnerable girls and boys and their families and communities in Nepal.
Providing leadership and thoughtful strategic advice on multi-pronged approaches of WVIN’s policy and communications strategy, including but not limited to:
• Develop strategic approaches or partnership with key implementing partners of advocacy and campaign, communications and governance related initiatives.
• Develop action plans on key partnership or initiatives on communications, advocacy and campaign, government and external engagement.
• Cascade such multi-pronged approaches into unit and individual members’ action plans, including expected results on quarterly basis
• Positive outcomes from key partnership with implementing partners of policy and communications’ initiatives or programs, reflected on results of each initiative’s progress
• Increased policy influence of WVIN in targeted policies engagement relating to WVIN advocacy and campaign, and or programs at federal, provincial or local levels – reflected with increased engagement, or consultations, or inputs provided to policy makers and stakeholders on child-related policies formulation or implementation.
• Coherence annual work plan of policy and communications department with WVIN country strategy and programs, including annual business plan.
Leading and facilitating WVIN’s Government and External Engagement in particular with media, community leaders, local NGOs federation – in collaboration with National Director, including but not limited to:
• Meet, or facilitate and maintain regular communications with relevant key Government officials,media (in coordination with communications manager), NGO Federations sharing progress of WVIN’s child-focused programs in Nepal
• With support from Unit Managers (communications, advocacy and campaign, governance and partnership specialists), ensure regular visibility of WVIN’s programs and key events across printed and online media at federal, provincial and local level
• Facilitate selected high level visits of Government officials or other partners to visit WVIN Programs
• At least one high level meetings with key government officials on quarterly basis, promoting and sharing WVIN Programs impact across Nepal
• Increased reputation and recognition from GoN and other key stakeholders, evidenced by increased engagement, invitation, consultation with WVIN relating to GoN-led or partner-led child-focused programs and policy discussion
• At least one high level GoN visit to project sites once a year, in coordination with Operations and Programs Quality and Development Dept (including resources development unit).
• Increased high level and strategic engagement with selected of Partner NGOs board to promote scale up of PNGOs and WVIN’s child-focused programs
• Improved governance of WVIN’s PNGOs, measured by WVIN’s PNGOs dashboard/metrics
Leading Team and Facilitating Cross-Function collaboration team with other departments and broader WV Partnership, including but not limited to:
• Provide directions, guidance, coaching and technical supports to Policy and Communications team members and ensuring team accountability to deliver and measure the results
• Build cohesive team, lead by examples of the implementation of GROWTH organisational cultures and values
• Collaborate with other SLT members in ensuring integration of communications messaging, government and external engagement, advocacy and campaign (with technical programs in nutrition and livelihoods, education, protection)
• Facilitate, support, guide cross-function collaboration on government and external engagement
• Promote, engage and collaborate with WV Partnership’s Policy, Communications and Advocacy/Campaign communities
• Measured progress of Country Strategy Dashboard
• Measured and results of Policy and Communications Annual Work Plan
• Integrated campaign and advocacy with programs’ scale up plan in particular with technical ministries
• Successful pilot of local-to national advocacy via Citizen Voice of Action/Social Accountability
• Strong visibility and recognition of WVIN’s Policy, Campaign/Advocacy, Governance and Partnership’s Initiatives in broader WV Partnership’s community
Overseeing compliance and quality assurance meeting WV Partnership and Government’s relevant Policies and Guideline, including but not limited to:
• Ensure high quality and well prepared planning for key government compliance engagement such as DPAC, CPAC, PA and GA
• Provide leadership in key compliance meetings
• Ensure alignment of WVIN’s Policy, Communications, Strategy, Campaign and Governance with broader Partnership
• Successful meeting and outcomes of compliance meetings with GoN
• Timely preparation and renewal of Project Agreements (PA) and General Agreement (GA)
• No significant issues relating to GoN and WV Partnership Compliance
Education and Experience Required:
• Master’s degree in public policies, social policies, law, development studies/management, political science, communication studies, social studies or other relevant subjects
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and having more than 3 years in similar roles including leading and managing public affairs, communications, policy engagement and other high level engagement
• Strong political negotiation and connector skills – ability to network, negotiate and connect with a range of political and non-political organisations
• Strong team player – must be able to form and lead a number of cross-functional working groups.
• Strategic thinker and having strong analytical skills
• Passionate on promoting collaboration and partnership on children, women and issues of the disadvantaged members of communities
• Fluent in Nepali with Fluent written and spoken English
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
• Familiarity with thinking and working politically approaches
• Team or leadership experiences in Government, Local/International NGOs, Public Sectors
• 20 % Travel requirement (High level Government, media and donor’s visits). Required to travel to field office and project sites and remote locations
* World Vision International Nepal is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourage candidates of diverse background, women and differently abled, to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be called for the subsequent selection procedure.
Last date to apply: 13 September 2020
HOW TO APPLY