Administration & Logistics Assistant
I – Mission context
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde (MdM), a campaigning medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts and environmental health.
MdM has worked in Nepal since 1995: firstly, on Tuberculosis and HIV in western province, then on Sexual and Reproductive Health in Sindhupalchok District. Following the 2015 earthquakes, MdM implemented an emergency response program and then, a post-earthquake early recovery project in the same district.
Since 2018, MdM is working on Environmental Health. After a 2018-2019 program targeting informal waste workers (IWWs) in Kathmandu Valley and Sisdole landfill, MdM is initiating a 3-years program, starting in 2020 and aiming improvement of health, wellbeing and livelihood of those informal waste workers, based on: 1. formalization of IWWs through CSO and increasing their recognition in integrated solid waste management in urban cities, 2. increasing risk mitigation and promotion of decent safe work opportunities in current activities and through innovation contributing to improve solid waste management, and 3. increasing access to quality health services for IWWs and the community through promotion of Urban Health Promotion Center.
Based on our experience in Kathmandu, MdM is scaling up this program amongst both formal and informal waste workers in Nepalgunj Sub-metropolitan City with the support of the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). The objective is to improve health, wellbeing and livelihood of waste workers, mitigating their occupational risks and environmental exposure, improving access to prevention and occupational health services.
Hierarchical positioning: Reporting directly to the Project Manager in Nepalgunj, in close coordination with the support coordination team in Kathmandu.
II- Main aims of the post
Summary: The Administrative & Logistics Assistant is in charge of administrative and logistic aspects of Nepalgunj project implementation. S/He is responsible for maintaining the payments, procurement support, maintaining office including inventories. The Administrative & Logistics Assistant will work in close coordination with the support of coordination team in Kathmandu.
- Bookkeeping and payments
- Procurement, logistics and maintenance
- Administrative, Safety, Reporting and Communication
Bookkeeping and payments
- Responsible to the good implementation of MdM protocols and standards.
- Responsible to make payments and deposit in cash, including custody and inventory of petty cash (cash box).
- Process the payments verifying the due claims, procedures, budget availability/allocation and withholding tax complying the procedure and standards.
- Proceed for advance to staffs and suppliers as per approved advance request or terms of the agreements and ensure the timely settlement and follow up of advances.
- Responsible for maintaining the cashbook accountancy of the daily financial transaction record, post vouchers to SAGA/accounting software; maintain appropriate filing and documentation of financial and related records; and make sure of proper custody, confidentiality and safety.
- Responsible to maintain the financial compliance with respects to MDM policy and practices, donor’s terms and conditions, statutory & tax regulations, and standard financial & logistics procedures and practices,
- Prepare and send the monthly forecast, monthly closing and other financial information to the support coordination team in Kathmandu.
- Preparing the periodic closing accountancy and providing all the required documents with the support of the administrative team based in Kathmandu.
Procurement, logistics and maintenance
- Responsible for local procurement of the goods and services in Nepalgunj following the standard practices, in rational and systematic manner in adherence to MdM procurement guideline as abide by all prevailing compliance and ethical procedures, respecting the humanitarian rules.
- Maintain the transparency of the process, the commercial rules about fair competitiveness, standardize the local market, maintaining the quality of goods/service to be procured, considering the operating and maintenance costs.
- Avoid situations and conditions that may involve or show connections with conflict of interest, corruption, fraud, financial malfeasance by ensuring the transparency in the use of MdM procedure. Comply with and maintain knowledge of applicable rules, legislation, regulations, standards, and best practices.
- Control order performance, including delivery, receipt, warranty, damages, reconcile or resolve value discrepancies in Nepalgunj.
- Prepares all appropriate and complete documentation from Mission Request to donation/stock consumption including but not limited to quotations collected, evaluation grid, supplier details, product details etc..
- Maintain regular communication with local stakeholder and beneficiaries for providing logistics support in field operation. Organize the logistics arrangement for project activities such as workshops, trainings, seminars, meetings etc.
- Inspects and ensure the staff safety, and vehicle use guidelines in rented cars. Make sure that the drivers drive the vehicles in the respect of the safety rules.
- Ensure proper recording on fleet management of rented cars (e.g. logbooks, fuel consumption etc.)
- Responsible to book hotels, flights and accompany visitor logistics support need etc. as per approved/ shared travel plans in Nepalgunj.
Stock and Asset
- Ensure that all equipment is well organized and correctly stored, well protected, fully identified and easily accessible (cleanliness, safety, access, etc.). Update the inventory record of the equipment and other items including periodic physical verification of inventories and report to the support coordination team in Katmandu.
- Responsible to maintain the regular need of field office including but not limited to stationaries, office supplies, drinking water, tea/coffee, electricity, cleaning, communication, and other essential items in the field complying the MdM Environment policy and other relevant guidelines.
- Route, schedule, pack and prepare orders for delivery; load vehicles; schedule and oversee deliveries and pick-ups.
Administrative, Safety, Reporting and Communication
- Implement MdM’s safety measures and contribute to conduct regular safety (SOPs) briefing regarding equipment, movements and means of communication to Nepalgunj staff.
- Monthly report accountancy, financial, logistics, HR and other administrative related information and reports to Admin team in Kathmandu and integrate the feedbacks.
- Maintain and report monthly cash, accountancy, administrative and logistics records to the support coordination team in Katmandu.
- Maintain record of HR and administrative documents, such as leave record, attendance sheets, stock leader, waybills etc. and send monthly to the support coordination team in Katmandu.
- Handling, receiving, and responding the phone calls, letters and information.;
- Participate in internal work meetings and discuss with the Project Manager and coordination team in Katmandu on logistic and operational issues. Attend meetings/trainings, when organized or requested by MdM.
- Execute any other function required by Project Manager, or General Coordinator.
III – Profile of the ideal candidate
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, Finance or Accounting.
- At least 2 years of experience in logistics or administration
- Experience with locality of Nepalgunj Sub-Metropolitan City: an asset
- Experience working with NGO/INGO or partner organizations and government authorities: an asset
Skills and qualities required
- Proactive, well organized and ability to manage priorities, adaptable, reliable, accountable and responsive personality
- Leadership, team-working and coordination skills
- Interpersonal and verbal communication abilities, charisma, tact and diplomacy, intercultural and difference awareness
- Assertiveness, mediation and negotiation, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Experience with computer skill including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, emails and other communications tools
- Nepali: mother tong
- English: fluent – both oral and written
- Local language: as an asset
NOTES TO CANDIDATES
DURATION: Upto June 2021
DUTY STATION: Nepalgunj
ANTICIPATED START DATE: As soon as possible in July 2020
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 13th July 2020
HOW TO APPLY: send an updated CV in English with 2 references and a Cover Letter to [email protected]