Position: Radio Telecommmunications Associate
Job ID: 24634
Desired: English, Nepali
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Bureau Asia & the Pacific
Contract Duration Six months with possibility of extension
This position is open to Nepalese nationals only.
UNDSS on behalf of UN Security Management System (UNSMS) is responsible for providing leadership, operation support and oversight of UNSMS to enable the safest and most efficient conduct of the programmes and activities of the United Nations System. Radio Telecommunication Associate within the Security Communication System is a key element to support UNSMS.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Security Adviser (SA) and the direct supervision of the Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO), the incumbent renders advisory/supervisory/technical services on all Security Communications System matters for UN system in Nepal. The incumbent ensures that the UN Nepal Security Communications System functions effectively on a continuous and uninterrupted basis.
Summary of Key Functions:
• Provide advice on Security Communications System to the Security Adviser (SA) and the Security Management Team (SMT).
• Coordinate all issues of United Nations Nepal Security Communications System.
• Liaise with UN agencies and local/national regulatory authorities in Nepal on the issues of UN Security Communications System.
• Install, repair and maintain Security Communications System’s equipment.
• Provide training on Security Communications System’s equipment and UN Nepal voice and radio room reporting procedure.
• Ensure technological upgrading and cost saving measures on the part of UN Security Communications System.
1. Provide Telecommunications Advice to SA and SMT ensuring the following activities:
• In liaison with the UN Nepal Telecommunications Working Group, advises Security Adviser (SA) and the UN Security Management Team (SMT) on all Security Communications System matters.
• In liaison with the UN Nepal Telecommunications Working Group, produce and recommend cost estimate to operate, repair and maintain UN Security Communications System network.
• In liaison to the UN Nepal Telecommunications Working Group, assist the SA towards designing, institutionalizing, and upgrading UN Security Communications System commensurate to UN Security Plan in Nepal.
2. Coordinate Technical, Administrative and Operational Issues of UN Security Communications System Network in Nepal ensuring the following activities:
• Coordinate the deployment of UN Nepal Security Communications System networks and supporting infrastructures; to include HF/VHF radios, satellite voice and data communications, telecommunications towers and corresponding power supply system.
• Coordinate technical, logistical, and administrative support to UN Security Communications System to ensure its reliability, robustness, efficiency and continuity.
• Coordinate the stock of Security Communications System’s equipment and its distribution including roster of available telecommunications staff (emergency) to support UN emergency response plan.
• Coordinate staffing requirement of UN EOC to ensure its’ smooth functioning on a 24/7 basis.
• Identify and coordinate telecommunications support available from vendors/service providers to UN organizations in Nepal requiring such assistance.
3. Liaise with UN Agencies and Local/National Regulatory Authorities on the Issues of Security Communications System ensuring the following activities:
• Liaise with the local/national regulatory authorities for radio frequency licensing and other issues of UN Nepal Security Communications System e.g., radio frequency interference, sharing of premises and infrastructures and etc.
• Liaise with UN agencies in Nepal to establish and run UN Nepal Telecommunications Working Group.
• Liaise with UN agencies in Nepal to ensure its’ full compliance with the telecommunications elements of eSRM, commensurate to the security levels in force or anticipated.
• Liaise with UN agencies in Nepal in order to maximize inter agency collaboration and implement the standard operating procedures in the field of Security Communications System.
• Liaise with the UN agencies in Nepal to ensure that their Security Communications System are compliant to the relevant frequency and call sign allocations to ensure network discipline and also to coordinate changes on radio frequency, radio channel arrangement and call sign allocations across the operational area.
4. Install, Repair and Maintain Security Communications System’s Equipment:
• Overall responsible for the proper installation and technical effectiveness of Security Communications System’s equipment installed in UN EOC, UN offices and UN vehicles in Nepal.
• Establish control system to ensure that all UN Nepal Security Communications System’s equipment are in proper repair and working order.
5. Provide Training to Operate, Maintain, and Troubleshoot Security Communications System’s Equipment ensuring the following activities:
• Collaborate with UN organizations in Nepal regarding the training of all staff in the use of Security Communications System’s equipment e.g. HF/VHF radio, SAT phone, satellite IP modem, GPS and also UN Nepal Voice Procedure and Radio Room Reporting Procedure.
• Liaise with UN Nepal Telecommunications Working Group to train agency staff/technician on operating and troubleshooting of Security Communications System’s equipment as required.
• Provide training to UN Emergency Operation Centre Assistants to operate, maintain and troubleshoot radio room equipments.
6. Ensures Technology Upgrading and Cost saving Measures focusing on the achievement of the following results:
• Identify and test new software and hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; make recommendations to all UN agencies in Nepal and supervise installation of any technology upgrades as required.
• Maintain and analyze telecommunications data and statistics to be able to identify, recommend and implement cost saving measures.
• Identify appropriate standards common to all UN organizations in Nepal to procure Security Communications System’s equipment at the least cost and the most expedient manner.
• Demonstrate commitment to UN mission, vision & values.
• Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality & age sensitivity and adaptability
• Extensive knowledge of the Security Communications System polices, structure and strategies.
• Knowledge of United Nations Security/Emergency policies, procedures and practices.
2. Planning and Organizing
• Ability to organize, plan and implement work assignments.
• Juggle competing demands and work under pressure.
3. Knowledge Management & Learning
• Shares Knowledge & Experiences.
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
4. Cooperation & Team Spirit
• Displays harmonious & cooperative spirit to colleagues
• Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship.
• Speaks clearly & articulately.
• Makes good impression in oral communication.
• Responds positively even under pressure.
• Is a good listener and is careful to deliver the message with accuracy?
6. Leadership & Self- Management
• Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
• Consistently approaches work with honesty, integrity, energy & vitality.
• Required Skills and Experience
• A first level university degree (Bachelor) in Telecommunications Engineering or Electronics & Communication Engineering or Electronics, Communication and Information Engineering or related disciplines.
• At least 3 years of professional experience in design, implementation, operations and maintenance of radio or telecommunications networks is required.
• Experience in providing technical support in a 24/7 Security Communications System environment will be an asset.
• Experience in management of Security Communications System in an international organization is preferred.
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) is desired.
• Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
• Ability to write fluently in English to produce reports and meeting minutes.
Last date to apply: 18 July 2019