National Programme Officer for Agricultural Markets and Economic Development
Embassy of Switzerland in Nepal
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION / REQUIREMENTS:
Switzerland through its development cooperation has been engaged in Nepal since 1959. With the establishment of its Embassy in Nepal in August 2009, Switzerland’s assistance in Nepal continues to focus on federal state building, employment and income through agriculture, rural infrastructure and vocational skills, as well as migration. Switzerland is committed to support Nepal’s socio-economic development and federal state building at the national, provincial and local level.
The Embassy of Switzerland offers a competitive salary and benefit package as well as a stimulating team and working environment. We are looking for a young, energetic Nepali National for 2 years fixed term contract with possibility of extension:
National Programme Officer for Agricultural Markets and Economic Development(Duty Station: Biratnagar)
As a member of the Swiss Embassy programme team and under the supervision of the Programme Manager Employment and Income, the National Programme Officer (NPO) is responsible for developing, monitoring, and steering the assigned programmes. She/he shall support the supervisor in the quality assurance of SDC’s programme implementation and contribute to the formulation of concepts, plans and strategies. The NPO ensures that the project cycle is managed timely and that the planning and implementation of projects in the areas of market expansion and economic development are of high quality. This includes the Agricultural Market Development Program (NAMDP) and new projects to be developed in the economic development space for which the NPO shall ensure quality collaboration with partners and authorities. Furthermore, the NPO represents and promotes SDC including its values and principles; shares and exchanges information about Switzerland’s activities in Nepal; and integrates a Nepali perspective and knowledge. The NPO ensures that the programme’s activities effectively support federal state building and the implementation of the Constitution of Nepal 2015 as well as a conducive environment for markets to function effectively. He/she shall be actively involved in developing collaborative relationships with related Ministries and stakeholders at both Federal and Provincial level to ensure that SDC’s planning and programming reflect the government of Nepal’s priorities and that strong partnerships are developed to jointly implement initiatives that support those priorities. The NPO is also responsible for guiding the NAMDP implementing partner in working with the Government of Nepal to develop improved processes and conducive laws and regulations related to markets, exports, innovative solutions and technology transfer etc. The NPO should be willing to work in Biratnagar (70%), Province 1, with frequent travel to Kathmandu (30%).
Required Technical Competence
- Master Degree in agricultural economics, economics, public administration and policy, or any other relevant fields;
- At least 3 years of practical work experience in the development sector or in the area of private sector development, markets/ agriculture value chain development, economics, access to finance, innovation or a related field;
- Sound understanding of current issues impeding the development of agricultural markets, trade and exports in Nepal; especially policy constraints;
- Familiarity with the functioning of the Federal, Province and Local Governments, including constitutional mandates and thematic responsibilities, inter-governmental coordination mechanisms, processes etc.;
- Experience working with or for a governmental institution is an advantage;
- Good understanding of the political and development landscape in Nepal;
- Excellent conceptual and analytical abilities, including result-based project management in an intercultural context;
- Good understanding of and experience with development agencies, including project cycle management (PCM) is considered an advantage;
- Track record in producing context or political economy analysis is considered an advantage;
- Sensitivity and experience in the areas of gender, equity and social inclusion;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Nepali.
- Goal and result oriented;
- Demonstrated ability to analyse, conceptualise, manage and monitor programmes;
- Ability to work independently, make decisions and implement them;
- Ability to build and nurture partnerships with private and public sector actors;
- Innovative, ability to think out of the box and initiate changes;
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly;
- Ability to understand the political economy of the federalisation process.
- Networking, negotiation and communication skills;
- Ability and willingness to work in team;
- Ability to address feedbacks constructively;
- Accept a wide spectrum of tasks;
- Intercultural sensitivity.
Detailed Job Description is available on the following website
For more details, please go through the link below:
Application in English with immediate contact address and a telephone number; an updated bio-data; copies of citizenship certificate and academic credentials; and reference from former employer(s) should reach at the latest by 17:00hrs on 30 December 2020 through post or through email as an attachment (please do not provide a link to google drive or any other cloud server) at [email protected] Please clearly mark “Application for NPO – Agricultural Markets and Economic Development” on the envelope/subject of the email.
Personnel and Administration (Chancery)
P.O. Box 113
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The Embassy reserves the right to reject any or all applications without assigning any reasons.
|The Embassy of Switzerland in Nepal promotes workforce diversity and applies positive discrimination to candidates from discriminated groups (women and candidates from Dalit, Janajati, Madhesi/Terai, and other minority community).|