Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH as a federal enterprise supporting the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation.
S2HSP is executed by the Ministry of Health and Population (MoHP) and supported by GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). S2HSP is in line with the Nepal Health Sector Strategy (NHSS) 2015–2020 and aims to improve access to effective and qualitative healthcare services, particularly for disadvantaged population groups in Nepal. S2HSP is focusing on 5 key result areas: (1) Social Health Protection, (2) Human Resource for Health (3) Governance in Health (4) Strengthening Health Information Systems and (5) Adolescent Health and Development.
Position: Technical Advisor – Governance in Health
Duty Station: Dhangadhi, Kailali
• For tasks focused on supports to the Senior Technical Adviser in the effective implementation of S2HSP programme activities in the area of governance in health and monitoring of Sustainable Development Goals
1. Coordinate with stakeholders for developing digital systems that link health information with the Civil Registration and Vital Statistics (CRVS) system(s)
• Coordinate with government and non-government stakeholders at sub national level (Nepalgunj, Dhangadhi and Godawari municipality) and concerned ministries in Sudur Pashchim Province to assist in designing standard processes for data flow between health institutions and the CRVS system
• Support to conduct stakeholder analyses to understand the various data systems in use in the health and other social sectors that can contribute to, or use data from the CRVS system
• Liaison with WHO and other stakeholders to implement systems that record standardised cause of death data and birth registration into the CRVS system at health facilities
• Liaison with municipal governments, hospitals and ICT experts from GIZ and beyond to establish systems to ensure notification of birth and death directly from health facilities
2. Provide technical support to sub national level government for the effective monitoring of progress towards the SDGs
• Provide technical support to build capacities at the sub-national level understand the health and health-related SDGs and indicators
• Develop understanding among various stakeholders of the status of municipalities/provinces in achieving the SDGs
• Develop and establish systems that use data from a variety of sources to help managers and planners routinely monitor the progress towards SDGs
3. Promote and support the culture of using information for evidence-based decision making and planning at sub-national level
• Support municipalities and health facilities in visualizing and using socioeconomic data, including health, to create better plans
• Encourage the use of data quality checking tools at municipality level to assess and improve the quality of data being collected by information systems
• Work closely with the Digitalization in Health thematic team to design and develop the systems to promote the use of evidence for decision making and planning at local level and province level
4. Support in coordination and implementation of S2HSP activities related to Governance in Health at sub-national level
• Contribute to S2HSP programme activities to build the capacity of the local government to provide and deliver the Basic Healthcare Service Package (BHSP) across all health facilities by promoting multi-sectoral collaboration and governance
• Support the local government (Mayor, Deputy Mayor, Chief Administrative Officer, Health Unit) to better manage BHSP services provision and delivery across all providers including private providers, and NGOs
5. Contribute to the RBM and knowledge management of S2HSP
• Report monthly progress and status of work through the results-based monitoring [RBM] framework
• Contribute to the project’s knowledge management
• Represent GIZ-S2HSP in meetings and other key events at local and province level and
• Provide technical support in other activities of S2HSP when required
Required qualifications and experience:
• Master’s degree in Population studies, Statistics, Demography, Public Health, Health Informatics, Information Systems, Mathematics, Computer Science or similar
• At least five years of experience in a position as technical advisor / project coordinator.
• Strong professional background in Monitoring and Evaluation and informatics, with previous experience of designing and linking multiple information systems
• Demonstrated previous experience of Local governance working with GoN authorities at national and sub-national level
• Knowledge of the various information systems in the health and other social sectors of Nepal.
• Understanding of the Civil Registration and Vital Statistics system of Nepal, local health governance and digital health systems would be an asset
• Excellent in communication in both English and Nepalese and strong presentation skills
• Very good working knowledge of IT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
Last date to apply:
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are requested to send a completed application including CV and two referees to the email address [email protected] no later than by 05/06/2019. Only applications sent by email will be accepted.
Please write “Ref. Nr. 19007- Technical Advisor – Governance in Health” in the subject line while applying for the position.
Only short-listed candidates will be called for written test and interview. No telephone inquiries will be entertained. The organization reserves the right to cancel or postpone the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever.
The salary and social benefits will correspond to the GIZ rule applicable to national staff. Especially women and candidates from underprivileged castes are highly encouraged to apply.