People in Need is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistance in over 20 countries around the world, while at the same time working to defend human rights and democratic freedom. In the Czech Republic PIN also works on social integration and provides educational activities. Formed by the leaders of the Czechoslovak velvet revolution and conflict journalists in 1992, PIN works as an independent humanitarian organisation at home and abroad providing relief where it is needed, and empowering civil society at home and abroad.
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION / REQUIREMENTS:
Location: Kathmandu with frequent visit to project sites/area
Reports to: MEAL Manager
Department or Program: MEAL
is a non-governmental, non-profit, international organization founded in the Czech Republic in 1992. PIN arrived in Nepal as part of a humanitarian response to the April 25, 2015 earthquake. Since its inception in Nepal, PIN has had a strong role advocating and addressing the needs of marginalized populations. This includes people who live in geographically remote areas of Nepal, people who are from historically marginalized ethnic groups, and those marginalized because of their age and/or gender identity (women and girls). More recently, PIN has also supported Nepal’s post-earthquake reconstruction efforts ensuring that the most vulnerable people are not left behind.
The project titled “Risk-Informed Landslide Management in Nepal’s Hill Areas” is a 1.5-year program funded by ECHO. This project is implemented by a consortium comprising of PIN, NSET, SWN, DU & NU with an aim to improve resilience of hill communities in four municipalities in Sindhupalchowk and Dolakha districts through strengthening risk-informed landslide management at the local level. The core objective is to work with local authorities and disaster management institutions, key actors involved in road construction and infrastructure projects, communities and national government to increase their understanding of landslide hazards, the risks they pose and the impact of human disturbance on communities exposed to hazard risks.
Scope of work
MEAL Coordinator’s role is at the centre of ensuring effective implementation and development of MEAL systems, tools and procedures in project titled “Risk-Informed Landslide Management in Nepal’s Hill Areas”. S/he, together with MEAL Manager ensures all MEAL activities are carried out in timely, effective and efficient manner, and that analysed data inform continuous improvement of the project. S/he is also CFRM focal person and ensures effective implementation and development of CFRM systems, tools and procedures for all PIN projects & provides leadership and capacity development to PIN staff and external enumerators.
All PIN staff agree to:
- Comply with all relevant PIN policies, Country Program Policies, and guidelines related to their position.
- Show a strong commitment to the inclusion of all groups within Nepal and dedication to PIN Nepal’s Inclusion Guidelines.
- Maintain a positive attitude and promote a professional & productive working environment across all staff, departments, and among all of PIN’s partners.
Adhere to PIN Code of Conduct and key policies including Child Protection Policy and Safeguarding Policy.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning
- Design data collection methodology (sampling, data collection tools and process), data analysis and self-verification for project evaluation purposes.
- Whenever required, support MEAL Manager in drafting key M&E tools such as ITT, result based framework, monitoring checklists etc. Ensure all tools are timely assessed and updated if required.
- With direction from project MEAL lead & Program Managers, support adherence to the project M&E framework.
- Identify gaps and facilitate development of M&E-related capacities among colleagues and stakeholders to ensure participation, enable ownership and facilitate quality of data collection, its management and use.
- Ensure that project feedback, results and lessons learnt are effectively shared in order to adjust and improve project approaches, their delivery and scale up.
- Provide training for PIN staff and partner organizations’ staff as required on data collection & any other project monitoring & evaluation activities.
- Support planning, logistics and coordination of monitoring team, consultants/technical assistance visits are required.
- Ensure PIN programs are conducted in compliance with both PIN’s and donor’s rules and regulations, especially anti-corruption, transparency and accountability principles.
- Make frequent monitoring field visits and generate MEAL reports providing program with useful feedbacks.
- Lead enumeration team on conducting key monitoring tasks such as baseline/endline surveys, need assessment, satisfaction surveys in the field.
- Ensure all the important project documents are stored in PIN online archive tool i.e. ELO and if needed updated with newer versions. Similarly, ensure maintenance of hard copies of the same. Seek or request program staffs if there are pending documents to be archived.
Complaint Feedback Response Mechanism (CFRM)
- Oversee the development and implementation of CFRM framework for overall program of PIN.
- Ensure the developed communication tools for CFRM are beneficiary friendly.
- Handle the serious complaint with confidentiality and discuss the matter according to its gravity, with the relevant person.
- Train and support staff on CFRM policy and ensure the effective communication of CFRM mechanism at community level.
- · Share the learnings generated from CFRM to managers for effective or adaptive programming.
- · Follow up on the resolution of complaint with managers, receive their response and communicate to beneficiary accordingly.
- In case of complaint box installation at community level, ensure its handled in timely manner by the CFRM focal person at field level.
- Through periodic assessments of CFRM tools and methods, investigate if current system can be improved and become more effective. Advocate for any amendments that may be required.
HR and Capacity Development of PIN staff and enumerators
- Ensure all PIN staffs are well aware of CFRM system and underlining policies through orientation. Provide suggestions and support to PIN staffs in effectively implementing CFRM system across different projects.
- Lead on ensuring enumerators are adequately and timely trained on data collection tools and methods. Look for opportunities to enhance their skills and knowledge through regular assessment of their work. Enumerators are also needed to be oriented on CFRM system and its importance to project implementation.
- Regularly conduct fair and transparent assessment of enumerators and identify scope of capacity development opportunities.
Coordination, liaison & Communication
- Ensure program managers and team receive timely support through routine coordination mechanism.
- Work with other departments (Logistics, Finance, GESI & Communication) as well as external independent evaluators as needed and liaise with his/her counterparts as partners’ organizations
- · Ensure all learnings and important informational outputs from different MEAL activities are communicated to the project team in timely manner. Be accountable for all the shared information.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Bachelors (Masters preferred) degree is social science or any related field.
- Advanced excel and data analysis and software knowledge preferred
- Strong data management skills
- Proven data collection, analysis and report writing skills
- Good understanding of gender issues and rights-based approach
- Outstanding communication skills- written and spoken
- Fluency in English and Nepali-written and spoken
- Strong critical thinking and ability to self-initiate
- Willingness and flexibility to undertake extensive field works in remote and rural communities.
Note: women and other marginalized and minority group are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and an updated CV including two reference contacts from last two employments. Please visit this link to APPLY FOR MEAL COORDINATOR AND CFRM FOCAL PERSON or PIN’s website peopleinneed.org.np and apply for the Position before 5pm, JULY 12, 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted immediately. No phone calls will be entertained.