Vacancy for a Research Lead
(Gross Salary Nrs 100,000 per month)
PHASE Nepal is a not for profit NGO established in 2006 by a group of development professionals dedicated to supporting poor communities in remote areas of Nepal. For the last 12 years, PHASE Nepal has been implementing Health, Education, and Livelihoods improvement programs in Humla, Bajura, Mugu, Gorkha, Kathmandu, and Sindhupalchok districts. Currently, PHASE Nepal’s projects in health, education, livelihoods, DRR, and research are funded by the number of institutional and individual donors from different countries. Currently, PHASE has over 140 staff working on different projects and growing.
Recently PHASE has received a funding from the Sheffield Institute of International Development (SIID), the University of Sheffield, UK to develop the Research Capacity of staff working with PHASE. PHASE would like to invite applications from qualified and experienced candidates interested to apply to work as a trainer/research lead for this job as described below:
Position: Research Lead
Salary: Nrs 100,000 (one lakh) per month (Gross)
Duty Station: PHASE Nepal Central Office Bhaktapur, Nayathimi with occasional field visits if continued long term.
Duration of the post: 4 months initially (the position will continue long term if you prove to be the right person).
Start date: Ideally within December (the training needs to be finished by the end of March 2019)
Reports to: Executive Director
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Masters’ Degree (preferably MPhil, MRes, MPH) or Higher with strong research methodology subjects involved.
- More than five years of experience in primary research (publication as first author preferred) preferably most recently in the public health and social science-related topics.
- Experience in literature reviews, writing, and presentations.
- Familiar with reference software such as Endnote, Mendeley etc and able to teach others.
- Experience in publishing academic articles and writing reports.
- Experience of qualitative, quantitative and mixed method study designs, data collection and analysis.
- Excellent IT skills with experience of handling MS Office, SPSS and NVivo or similar.
- Excellent communication and training skill.
- Experience of training, mentoring and teaching researchers / mature students preferably at the University level.
- Experience in developing and designing research/development proposals.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Nepali.
- Develop a 120 hours training curriculum and schedule in qualitative, quantitative and mixed method research for PHASE Nepal staff based on their skill level.
- Run above training two hours each day from 08:30 AM to 10:30 AM for three months and work on other research projects for the remainder of the day. A separate food allowance (or food) on top of the salary will be provided during the training period to both the trainers and the trainees.
- Train PHASE Nepal staff in various data collection, management and analysis techniques.
- Train staff in both qualitative and quantitative analysis using software such as SPSS and NVivo.
- Study the information and data available in PHASE Nepal and develop an optimum way of / templates for data collection, management, analysis and reporting system within PHASE for implementation and research projects.
- Explore possible research and evaluation funding opportunities and lead on funding application; lead those research projects independently as well as work in a team.
- Plan for output based research.
- Support other Research related activities as assigned.
This is a senior position within the PHASE Nepal organogram both from salary and responsibility point of view. Therefore, we are looking for someone who has the right qualifications and excellent experience as mentioned above (these are a minimum requirement). We are looking forward to appointing someone who has the vision to develop a research department in PHASE Nepal, develop research proposals independently, lead such proposal development teams, proactive with zeal to establish PHASE Nepal, especially in the research field. It is a full-time post that needs a full-time commitment sometimes above and beyond regular office hours. This position is not suitable for a part-time job seeker who has other job commitments. If you feel you have passion to work in Research, develop yourself along with the organization and others involved in the organization, please send your CV with a support letter referencing the above requirements and job description, explaining why you are the best candidate for the job in relation to the above points to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12th December 2018, 17:00 Nepal time.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further selection process. Please email your application materials clearly mentioning the position applying in the subject line. No telephone inquiries will be entertained and any inappropriate recommendation will automatically disqualify the candidate from further processing. PHASE Nepal respects child rights and strictly follows the child protection policy of the organization.
PHASE Nepal is an equal opportunities employer and strictly follows the merit-based selection. Qualified female candidates or those from disadvantaged communities are strongly encouraged to apply. PHASE reserves right to qualify/disqualify applications in any case.