CAREER at UNITED NATIONS
Organization: United Nations (UN)
Posting Title: PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER, NOC
> Job Code Title: PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER
> Department/ Office: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
> Duty Station: KATHMANDU
> Posting Period: 10 February 2021-11 March 2021
> Job Opening number: 21-PGM-UN-HABITAT-149107-R-KATHMANDU (E)
> Staffing Exercise ID: N/A
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. This position is located with the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific of the Regional Programmes Division and based in Kathmandu, Nepal.
The Regional Programmes Division is responsible for consolidating and enhancing the linkages between UN Habitat’s activities in the field with the Strategic Plan, the 2030 Agenda, and the UN-Habitat’s overall future priorities and to make sure that they are appropriate to the country context.
UN-Habitat’s Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific manages UN-Habitat’s project portfolio in the Asia and Pacific region. It ensures that country priorities are in alignment with the UN-Habitat’s organizational policies and strategic objectives and brings through its Regional Representative to the attention of the Executive Management Committee (EMC) opportunities and challenges in the region, allowing for timely feedback and responses to urgent demands and requests from the Member States.
The focus of the position is on programme implementation and development, in relation to land management, urban planning and urban basic service delivery.
The position reports to a Human Settlements Officer / Programme Officer in the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation, reviews relevant documents and reports, identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective action, liaises with relevant parties, identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
2. Performs advisory assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
3. Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
4. Represents UN-Habitat programmes in Nepal in the UN Country Team, with government agencies and with development partner, implements duty of care policies, support timely staff evaluations in line with requirements.
5. Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources, undertakes survey initiatives, designs data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions, prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications.
6. Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
7. Undertakes outreach activities, conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activitie, participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties.
8. Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget).
9. Performs other relevant duties as required.
> A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management with international partners is required.
> Work experience in the fields of land management, urban development or basic service delivery is required.
> Experience with development and implementation of programmes and or a portfolio of projects of operational activities in support of developing countries is required.
> Experience working on governance, planning, human security or policy related issues in the area of human settlements is required.
> A minimum of three (3) years of responsible experience as a team leader or deputy team leader is desirable.
> Work experience in projects funded by major development partners is desirable.
Application Deadline: 11 March 2021
HOW TO APPLY