Position: National Professional Officer (Drugs and Medical Products) – (2101248)
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days): Two Years
Job Posting: Mar 20, 2021, 7:58:34 PM
Closing Date: Apr 11, 2021, 3:44:00 AM
Primary Location: Nepal-Kathmandu
Organization: SE_NEP WR Office, Nepal
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The objective of the WHO Nepal Country Office is to implement the Country Cooperation Strategy by (1) supporting the Nepal Government in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of national health policies, strategies and plans and by (2) developing and managing WHOs’ technical cooperation programs at the country level. In current federalized context there is a need for WHO to respond and support government structures at national and sub-national levels to improve equity and quality of health services, reorganization and management of health care delivery, human resources, information and monitoring, supplies chain management etc. Such interventions are required to make progress towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the targets in WHO’s 13th GPW, including universal health coverage (UHC) and provision of basic health services package (BHSP). The framework of GPW 13 builds on the existing expertise and long-standing work on SRHR at WHO, to support country to achieve universal access to sexual and reproductive health care services and reproductive rights. The comprehensive package of this SRHR project is designed to support MoHP in strengthening family planning, safe abortion, post-abortion family planning, management of the consequences of abortion and provision of access to safe abortion as per national law, addressing stigma and discrimination, information, education and counselling on sex, relationships and reproductive health. One of the main objectives of this project is to enhance in-country capacity to deliver equitable and good quality SRHR services by competent human resources and necessary SRH equipment and drugs.Specifically, as the state moves towards a more federalized set-up, WHO will support the country to establish and improve health system structure with the new devolved structures at three levels of governance. Along with the strong HSS team, special support is needed in SRHR project implementation to support DoHS and MoHP in achieving SDG targets related to SRHR.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the overall guidance of WHO Representative to Nepal and Public Health Administrator and direct supervision of Technical Officer (RH) the incumbent will:
1. Support to improve access to quality Medical Abortion drugs/combi pack/ contraceptives and other FP commodities that contribute towards Universal Health Coverage of SRH services and Rights;
2. Support efforts towards strengthening the stewardship and good governance functions related to Essential Drugs and Medicines and in general contribute to overall efforts on health systems development;
3. Provide technical support to Department of Drug Administration (DDA) to strengthen existing regulatory system related to essential drugs and medicines including commodities for abortion, family planning and recommend necessary actions;
4. Necessary support to provinces for improved forecasting, supply chain and logistics management of MAdrugs in public sector;
5. Provide technical assistance to the government and relevant authorities on promoting rational use of medicines including Medical Abortion drugs and antibiotics.
6. Provide technical support to address antimicrobial resistance through surveillance systems, awareness-raising and evidence-based policies and practices.
7. Facilitate and coordinate with National Medicines Laboratory in quality assurance mechanism of medical products including Medical Abortion drugs.
8. Actively participate and contribute in identifying country’s priorities on pharmaceuticals by ensuring safety, quality and efficiency of medicines including Medical Abortion drugs, vaccines and health technology products at all levels.
9. Provide technical assistance to DDA for post market surveillance, pharmacovigilance and quality assessment of Medical products including Medical Abortion drugs;
10. Facilitate and support DDA to get affiliation with WHO Collaborative Registration Group which would expedite registration of good quality products;
11. Assisting the team in collaborating with partners and stakeholders including UN Organizations, other multi and bi-lateral organizations, civil society and professional associations that are involved in improving access to quality abortion and family planning services;
12. Coordinating with other units in WCO and colleagues at regional and headquarter offices to deliver integrated services as one WHO;
13. Any other relevant duties as may be assigned by the supervisors.
Essential: Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy.
Desirable: Master’s degree in pharmacy. Additional training in drug supply management and/or pharmacovigilance; and/or rational use of medicines.
Essential: At least one year of experience in essential drugs and medicines policies andrational drug use principles.
Desirable: Experience in pharmaceutical regulation and quality control (medicines and health legislation, surveillance system);
Demonstrated expertise in national drug policies, rational drug use, quality assurance and use of WHO standards and guidelines on pre-qualification of essential medicines and vaccines. Knowledge on supply chain management and able to identify bottlenecks and provide appropriate solutions. Demonstrated experience in inter-sectoral collaboration and ability to work with other agencies and development partners. Technical expertise and Overall attitude at work are also required mandatory competencies.
Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Nepali.
The above language requirements are interchangeable.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NPR 2,353,227 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO is committed to gender parity and workforce diversity. Hence, female candidates and candidates from disadvantaged and socially excluded groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- WHO’s workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered
How To Apply:
To apply for this job please visit careers.who.int.